Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

New cam for the LS1
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen3 LS1, LS2, LS6, LS7
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:28 pm    Post subject: New cam for the LS1 Reply with quote

I bought a used cam for the LS1. It's in route and I should have it tomorrow. Now I just need to order springs, retainers, and pushrods. The cam is relatively mild, the specs are 221/221 0.559"/0.559" 114 LSA . This should engine should still idle pretty well and hopefully pick up about 30 RWHP.

The stock cam it's replacing is really mild. 197/207 int/exh @ 0.05" 0.467" / 0.479" int/exh lift 116 LSA.

When I do the cam swap I'll probably change the pulley and run a underdrive ASP pulley / balancer.
jeep_406

53123.48 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SMOKE,

How are they to change cams on?
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeep_406 wrote:
Hi SMOKE,

Not sure. I'll let you know after it's done. I doesn't look to bad. I think the hardest part will be changing the valve springs.
Smokin71RSSS

2020.86 points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: New cam for the LS1 Reply with quote

smokemup wrote:
I bought a used cam for the LS1. It's in route and I should have it tomorrow. Now I just need to order springs, retainers, and pushrods. The cam is relatively mild, the specs are 221/221 0.559"/0.559" 114 LSA . This should engine should still idle pretty well and hopefully pick up about 30 RWHP.

The stock cam it's replacing is really mild. 197/207 int/exh @ 0.05" 0.467" / 0.479" int/exh lift 116 LSA.

When I do the cam swap I'll probably change the pulley and run a underdrive ASP pulley / balancer.

Thats a pretty big step up. I didn't realize how small the stock cams were. With how well those engines respond to upgrades I can see an extra 30 or more RWHP easy. Should sound awesome also. Those underdrive pulleys are supposed to be the hot ticket too and should gain you alittle more power.

Are you planning on heading out to the track for a before and after test?

EDIT: Just read in the Drag Racing section that you are going to the track for a baseline test.
96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear LS1 cam swaps are pretty easy, like no need to even remove the intake Shocked . That is a pretty big step up, but still not a wild cam should feel nice. If you want I can recommend a tuner and a place to get springs and gaskets. The tuner is the one I use, he is in PA, and gets around to a lot of the east coast tracks so you might even arange to meet him in person, or for a future dyno tune, prices are great too.

I went from 191/195 to 208/221 in my LT1 with a heavier car and even with stock gears and only a 2800stall I could still go bigger without batting an eye come time to tow my small boat behind my big one Razz , this should be quite reasonable to drive everyday.

Not really up on LS1 cams, but at least compared to what I am used to looking at the LSA looks a little wide, is this a forced induction grind Twisted Evil ?
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

96capriceMGR wrote:
If you want I can recommend a tuner and a place to get springs and gaskets.

No thanks... I'm the one who will be the tuner. I recently bought a scanner and PCM editor / flash utility made by HP Tuners.

96capriceMGR wrote:
Not really up on LS1 cams, but at least compared to what I am used to looking at the LSA looks a little wide, is this a forced induction grind Twisted Evil ?

The cam is one of the older LS1 grinds. A lot of the newer cam have lift aroun d 0.580 - 0.600 and run a reverse split, more intake duration and less exhaust. The cam is not a blower cam.

I went with this cam because it should idle pretty well with my automatic car. The valve lift is what I feel is right for stock heads. With the right tune it should idle really well but pick up decent power from 2000 rpm + over the stock cam. I'm going for a stealth approach if I can pull it off.
jonny_b

5693.36 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LS1 cam swaps are super easy! all you have to do is remove the rocker arms, and push rods. Remove the water pump, front cover. Spin the engine over a few times, (lifters ride in plastic sleeves that will hold them up out of the way, no need to remove them!) then take off the cam gear and pop out the cam, slid in the new one and reverse the order, easy as can be.

Just another note. LS1's show huge gains by going with reverse split cams. Thier exhaust ports flow so well that you can you stuff alot more intake on them with out choking them off.

I work at a race shop where we take the LS1 style pickup engines, the 5.3L and 6.0L Vortec, which are just cast iron block LS1's. and make race engines out of them. in all stock form, with just a cam swap we are getting 425 BHP on the 5.3L and 525 BHP on the 6.0L
zo6vetteman2003

518.14 points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smokemup wrote:
jeep_406 wrote:
Hi SMOKE,

Not sure. I'll let you know after it's done. I doesn't look to bad. I think the hardest part will be changing the valve springs.

The LSx engines are the easiest to work on for a cam swap.

03' Corvette ZO6, Vararam Widemouth intake, Carbon Fiber Powerduct, LSX FAST 90 Intake and Ported and Polished LS2 90mm throttlebody, 36# Fuel injectors, Kooks 1-7/8" LT's 3" X pipe, Borla Stingers, Comp Cam XR281HR (228/230 Dura.) 112 degree lsa. Stage 1 215cc/80cc 62cc combustion chamber LS6 heads ported and polished to Stage 2. Crane 1.8 Gold Race Rockers. Nitto 555RII's, SPEC Stage 3+ clutch.
Tuning by Slowhawk DEZ Racing Seekonk, Ma.
r351winner

470.14 points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a pretty aggresive setup on stock ls1 . and i would have to say i like a traditional split setup with em
mods= 351 sb windsor, comp cam ( .594.600/.242.248), victor jr. heads (2.05/1.60) 210 runners 64cc chambers, lt headers, air gap performer intake, 750cfm demon carb, msd ignition , built tranny , 9inch rearend, 6pt roll cage, kirkey seat, gt wheel, shortblock, 1.6 rockers
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r351winner wrote:
thats a pretty aggresive setup on stock ls1 . and i would have to say i like a traditional split setup with em

Actually the cam is pretty mild, most LS1 people are running 230's duration @ 0.05. The car idles at 700 rpm with no problems. I wanted a cam with good street manners that the wife can drive and this cam fits the bill.

I challenge you to push yourself.
af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smokemup wrote:
r351winner wrote:

Actually the cam is pretty mild, most LS1 people are running 230's duration @ 0.05. The car idles at 700 rpm with no problems. I wanted a cam with good street manners that the wife can drive and this cam fits the bill.

Smoke, I would run at least 230 with the mods you did. I have been quiet on you're car but time to jump off the bridge! The cam is going to limit you're performance at this point! 230 won't rattle the neighbors! But 240's will be better!!!!
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This car is a daily driver, not a race car. The goal is stealth. The idle is very nice and smooth with a little lope. The additional mods the car will get is a full exhaust (get rid of the stock exhaust manifolds, restrictive Y-pipe, cat back) and a FAST intake. With those mods it should put the car deep in the 11's.

af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smokemup wrote:
This car is a daily driver, not a race car. The goal is stealth. The idle is very nice and smooth with a little lope. The additional mods the car will get is a full exhaust (get rid of the stock exhaust manifolds, restrictive Y-pipe, cat back) and a FAST intake. With those mods it should put the car deep in the 11's.

I understand. I was pointing out that that profile is not aggressive at all compared to what is available but way better than stock with you're added performance enhancing (drugs) I meant parts. Very Happy
sherm6998

309.64 points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject: correct cam... Reply with quote

I think you made a good choice. That is close to the same cam Comp recommend for me. I'm pretty sure they know what they are doing. The LS6 heads are a step up from the LS1's but they still dont flow "great". Everyone seems to be going with the biggest cam they can find, and then get mad that it sucks on the street. Most people dont run their cars ONLY at the track. How could you complain about a True daily driver that idles like stock, the wife can drive, gets ~18mpg and runs 11's!!!!!!!!!!! Good choice! Cool
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: correct cam... Reply with quote

sherm6998 wrote:
I think you made a good choice. That is close to the same cam Comp recommend for me. I'm pretty sure they know what they are doing. The LS6 heads are a step up from the LS1's but they still dont flow "great". Everyone seems to be going with the biggest cam they can find, and then get mad that it sucks on the street. Most people dont run their cars ONLY at the track. How could you complain about a True daily driver that idles like stock, the wife can drive, gets ~18mpg and runs 11's!!!!!!!!!!! Good choice! Cool

Thanks. I like the cam. I'm sure I could make more power. I picked the cam because it should be easy on the valve train and provide a good jump in power and be very streetable.

The heads are TEA ported LS6's Here are the flow numbers from TEA's bench , this is on a 3.90" bore.

Lift ..... Intake ..... Exhaust
.100"..... 66.6....... 50.5
.200"..... 137.7..... 116.8
.300"..... 215.1..... 165.6
.400"..... 258.3..... 226.3
.500"..... 300.1........ 246.2
.550"..... 312.0..... 251.4
.600"..... 320.2..... 256.6

The heads were also milled 20 thousands. I'm running a 0.045 cometic head gasket and the SCR is 10.868:1 with a DCR of 8.46:1.

So far the car has run a best of 12.3 @ 110 through a completely stock exhaust (non SS).

I'm hoping to put some KOOKS 1 7/8" long tubes, Kooks catted Y-pipe, Hooker cat back (I wish I could find an SLP dual/dual exhaust), injectors, and 90/90 Fast intake. Provided I can get the car to hook it should run in the mid 11's, get 20+ mpgs highway, and still have mild manners so the wife can drive it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen3 LS1, LS2, LS6, LS7 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: