Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Brother's car slowed down?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
heavychevys

754.46 points

1964 Chevrolet Belair

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Brother's car slowed down? Reply with quote

Well,we went to the track this past weekend and the car slowed down.We have added a 6 point roll bar and that is it.The car had a slight leak on the accelerator pump,nothing bad though.He said the engine spark knocked in high gear.He is running the same Powershot 125hp Nos kit and 650 DP has before.The plugs were a light tan color,no melting or damage at all.We run 50/50 fuel,93/114 octane.Timing 36 total.Ok,enough about the engine.The car ust to pull the front end 12-16 inches now only 8-10 inches.The 60 fts were 1.57-.61,before 1.50-.54.The front comes up good but doesn't stay up like before and has a slight bounce to.The front shocks are 90/10 w/bigblock coil springs.The rear mono's w/Southside Lift Bars and Monroe Gas shocks.Do y'all think the car had some flex before in the body that allowed for better tranfer to the rear?The has always had frame connectors.The car has no inner fenders,al. radiator and a fiberglass hood so it it is light up front.What ideas do y'all have to get it back to where it was.Also,in the next month it will be getting a 408BBC.

(Bothers) 69 Nova 408 BBC 6.94 @ 96 MPH
96 F250 4X4 PSD 8.24 @ 84 MPH @ 7000 lbs

www.musc.us/drag
jeep_406

53369.72 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd make sure the fuel side of the Nitrous setup is working properly. Don't like the knock in high gear. I'd definately get that straightened out before you hurt the 408.

Are the eighth mile figures you posted on the bottle?
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Heavy, welcome to my nightmare. When I put a cage in my Nova, it did the exact thing you are describing. It hooked good before and pulled a best 60' of 1.50 with a 350 on gas. After the cage it has been a fight for a year trying to get back to where I was. One thing I can tell you is I have learned the car is now more sensitive to suspension tuning. I am no expert in this realm, but I have noticed more seat of the pants difference in tuning the rear shocks than the front. I use the 3-way Competition Engineering because I can't afford the 10 or 12 way shocks. (Not that I could tune them anyway, 3 choices are bad enough.) I have tried slapper bars, a contraption I made and currently have Cal-tracs which seem to work pretty good. I even ended up adding 120 lbs in the trunk. Crying or Very sad The last thing I rigged up is a way to spray glue on the tires after the burnout which does help some. Good luck. Clay

P.S. Are you going to the Rock next Sun?
heavychevys

754.46 points

1964 Chevrolet Belair

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeep,those #'s are on gas,he won't run without it Twisted Evil .On motor it did a 7.94 1/8th.My dad said the same thing about the fuel side of the Nos system Very Happy The 408 won't have gas on it for awhile after the install.It will be quick enough,for then,for him to get ust to.It is the engine out the Impala.

Clay,I am going to install the same shocks you descibed.I see Competition Engineering list only rear shocks for multi leaf.Will they work with mono,do you know?Before the cage we were adding weight to the rear,maybe 50 lbs.I think the shocks should help alot though.My brother thinks the slicks are going Rolling Eyes but they hook hard off line.I don't believe I'll make it to the Rock,would love to though,do to work.I'll keep y'all informed on the Nova's status.

P.S. The Impala is fixing to get a 750 hp BBC in it,all motor Twisted Evil

www.musc.us/drag
jeep_406

53369.72 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I call you Heavy?

Have you marked the slicks and videotaped the car as it launches?
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran into the same problem, no part # for monoleaf's. I even called Competition Engineering and they didn't know the difference between the two. (So much for a help line) The lower mount is all that is different. The multileaf shock is designed to mount on a pin sticking out of a bracket that is roughly 5/8" in diameter. The monoleaf needs to be pinched between the shock mount with a bolt. All the multileaf shocks need to work on the monoleaf setup is the steel sleeve to allow the bolt to tighten up without squashing the bottom of the shock. You can remove these from your old shocks with a press or a vise and just press them into the Comp units and you should be o.k. Clay
heavychevys

754.46 points

1964 Chevrolet Belair

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeep,you can call me heavy Very Happy

Clay,I'll go ahead and order them then.Thanks Very Happy

www.musc.us/drag
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: