Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

I finally got my 350

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HotRodDaddy

2974.18 points

1994 Eagle Talon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: I finally got my 350 Reply with quote

Well I bought it today!! And its already been punched out 40 the cylinders look real good and the heads just nead a little cleaning a friend of mine gave it to me for 50 bucks after i helped fix his tie rod!! and throwing in a set of like new connecting rods for 150!! What all does a 383 stroker kit consist of??? then engine already has 400 heads on it i just need the internals! can anyone give me a list of parts i will need? since i am low budget i will be buying them one by one unfortunately!oh and the rods are 5.7's with less than 100 miles on em i know becuase i helped to put them in the engine before he decided to go all race on a new motor. and they are the pistons that came out of the motor he is giving me. the HP and Torque I would like to make is around 300-400 at the flywheel. but would settle for less if need be!
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need a crankshaft for the main part of the 383 buildup. I got mine from Doug Herbert. It is a Scat 9000 series crank and it was around $200 as well as I remember. You can use the 5.7" rods you have, but you will have to grind 2 (#2 and #7 I think) of them for cam clearance or run a small base circle cam. I wouldn't try to run the 400 length rod because it isn't as strong as the 5.7" rod due to the rod bolt placement to miss the cam. You will have to get new pistons with a different pin height to accomodate the longer stroke. If you have the patience, knowledge, and mechanical ability to clearance the block, you can get a 383 for really not a lot more than a 350 rebuild. Unfortunately you already have 350 pistons, but you could sell them and get hyper pistons for not a lot either. Clay
HotRodDaddy

2974.18 points

1994 Eagle Talon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do have the pistons that matters none at all i was kinda planning on replacing them anyways!! I just wanted to find out what all it would take to turn it into a 383 since i will be starting basically from scratch anyways! Thanks for the info its very appreciated!!
Aerosmith

7771.70 points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey HotRodDaddy. I built my 383 last summer. I started off with the intent of a .030 over 350 and it snowballed from there. There are alot of places that sell complete kits just shop around and find one that suits you. Unfortunately, I didn't find one that had all the things that I wanted in one kit, so I built mine over about a 6 month period of time as I got the money. If I had it to do over again I would do it the same, however, I spent a LOT more than you could if you bought even a 'crate' motor off one of the engine shops on ebay for instance. I did everything myself except the boring, decking, honing, and balancing, and I probably have around $5k in my engine alone. I too went with a Scat crank and forged I-beam rods, KB Hyper pistons, Herbert solid roller cam, Dart heads etc...all good pieces. If you use good rods like I did with the 7/16 ARP 12 point bolts, you don't have to worry about a small base circle cam. Anyway, if you want any recomendations let me know and I could e-mail you a list of the part numbers I used.
jeep_406

53123.48 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hotroddaddy,
I think I responded to another post you had. PLEASE forget about using the 400 heads. They are one of the lowest performance heads Chevy ever put out. It would be hard to make horsepower with those heads.
I think you mentioned that you can do your own head work. Do you have the equipment required to do valve work?

Jeep_406
Paul P

81574.74 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the deal with "it has 400 heads". I've seen at least 3 or 4 references to them. I agree with jeep they were junk to begin with.
They are just left over 350 smog heads with steam holes drilled in them. I think ignorance is high on this subject....PLEASE
96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really any engine parts from the 70s and early 80s are basically junk, none of the heads are good by todays standards(96 Vortecs blow them all out of the water and new are dirt cheap), the old "pink" rods are not as strong as the powdered metal rods and you can get NEW PM ones for little more than reconditioning the pink ones would cost. People are just hung up on the old musclecar era crap. Evil or Very Mad

Today is the horsepower age not 35 years ago, and before you quote HP figures, lets consider NET vs. Gross, reliability, drivability, milage, and durability.
HotRodDaddy

2974.18 points

1994 Eagle Talon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the man has a point!! Am currently searching for vortec heads since I will need to buy a new intake manifold anyway!! but until i find vortec heads and intake i may just go with what i have then upgrade when i feel its time to go through the block and check everything! If you know anyone sellin vortec heads dirt cheap let me know will dig up dirt from the yard for em ROFLMAO!! Laughing
techinspector1

100.00 points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HotRodDaddy, read this before you buy the Vortechs. You may want to buy them with the mods already done.
http://www.2quicknovas.com/vortecheads.html

Never try to teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig.
HotRodDaddy

2974.18 points

1994 Eagle Talon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah and i just found out today that the heads have been ported and polished about 100 miles ago. but will find vortec head and buy em when i can!!
jeep_406

53123.48 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they give you any flow figures for the heads?
HotRodDaddy

2974.18 points

1994 Eagle Talon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not yet i am goin to be workin on my motor this weekend so i could find that out this weekend! how do i check the flow?
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flow Bench
HotRodDaddy

2974.18 points

1994 Eagle Talon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well my friend said that the vortec heads won't fit the engine wrong bolt patterns or something. He would know it was his engine!! Thats why he started fresh with a new engine for his S15!! he bought vortec heads and they wouldnt go on. So he bought a new block for the heads!! But i will be buying the dart heads for it! He told me its an early 70's block. even if i have to just use the heads it has i will live with em at least i got a project to start with thats the important thing for me! later on I will build a wild engine i guess.
87calais

5692.14 points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot Rod Daddy,
Your friend has something a little backwards if he says the vortech heads couldn't fit on a 70's block, because up untill the whole ls1 thing, chevy small are all basically the same, except lt-1's with their reverse coolant flow... but either way, if it's a seventies block, all he needed was a different intake manifold, rockers, and uh... yeah, that's it.
Peace
Tim

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: