Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Roll Cages & Street Cars

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GTAracer

416.22 points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Roll Cages & Street Cars Reply with quote

Slowly but surely I am gaining experience and quicker elapsed times. Only 8th mile tracks in my area...IHRA track. Just got an 8.48 @ 80.8mph this past weekend. Nobody said anything to me about a helmet. Test & tune anyway. Faster cars than me without helmets, cages.

Whenever I get to the point that I need a cage...is there anyway to put one in the car so that it is still safe on the street? I mean, I don't want to wear a helmet everywhere I drive. Might be safer, but I'd rather avoid this sort of speedracer embarrassment. Wouln't want someone to hit me and my head hit a bar either.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
MCas7

199.00 points

1982 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i'm not an expert, but I do know that when a roll cage or bar is installed properly, it isn't supposed to hit your head even with a helmet on. You shouldn't have a problem at all with hitting your head without a helmet on. There are plent of cars that drive around every day with cages and bars in the car and don't have a problem with head clearance. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
2x4

2189.72 points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... 8.48 in the 1/8 equals roughly 13.40 in the 1/4. You have over a full second before you need one to run on IHRA tracks (7.39 in the 1/8=11.50/quarter). Honestly, you have a long way to go. It would make a nice goal though!

It is possible to smack your head on a cage, thats why they must be padded around the driver. Techinspector could probably give you the specs on it. Swing out/removeable side bars are a excellent idea-trust me. My 72 Camaro had a 8 point cage, its a pain to crawl out every time you need out! Not to mention people look at ya funny Laughing Cages in street cars are a pain.

Always a good idea to wear a helmet at the track. Even if you dont need one, do you trust the guy next to you with your life? Not me.
brokenparts

100.00 points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with 2x4. You can definetly come into contact with a cage because it's designed for racing situations when you would also be wearing a seatbelt harness. I don't know too many people who ride around on the streets with a full rollcage that wear their 5-point harness fully strapped in place. There's not much room in a GTA so when the time comes that you have to install a rollcage be sure it's professonally installed and pad everything.
techinspector1

100.00 points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone has given you good advice. Get an IHRA Rulebook. Call Summit and get the 2004 book 1-800-230-3030. Read it thoroughly before you commit, then, like brokenparts said, find yourself a professional installer. Ask around at the drag strip, find out who does the job properly.

Never try to teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig.
GTAracer

416.22 points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the "inevitable brain damage" comments I see on roll cages in street cars can be avoided if properly built. Good to know.

I'll see about getting a hellmet. Just haven't thought I needed one up till now. I can tell the car is starting to get more powerful. It's only a stock 193K mile car that I have done intake and exhaust mods, a 4 hour bowl blending job to stock heads...even using stock valves, springs, and rockers, a stock cam and converter with a rebuilt 700r4 and 3.27 gears.
So, yeah...I think I understand your comment that I have a long way to go, and I will realize that I'm sure as I progress, but I think I can get there in a short time.

Thanks for the advice.
2x4

2189.72 points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, ya gotta start somewhere. If all cars started out running 10's, it wouldnt be fun Very Happy But really, a helmet is a good investment. You will eventually have to have one if you keep going to the track. Just be sure its the right rating (Snell or M00). We can get ya going fast enough to need one, how much ya wanna spend Wink I would wait on the cage untill you get more seat time in on the car. You never know when you might want to switch cars (this one doent hook right, sits too high, found a better deal, yadda yadda..). Been there too many times!
BLK64SS

104.00 points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is a cage or Roll Bar required at 11.50 for IHRA ? I know in NHRA a Cage isnt required untill you run sub 10.00's A bar is required at 11.99 (12.99 for convertables ). Also not thats its right or acceptable .. I know of many tracks that dont even tech the cars. If they did they wouldnt have many racers. I redid a cage for a guy who was trying to sell his car and needed it to cert. I found .050 wall Muffler tube for the crossbar on the main cage and for the dash bar. And this car was points champion twice running 6.10's-6.20's 1/8
brokenparts

100.00 points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blk64SS, sounds like you run where I run! All I ever get looked over in tech is my flip-top Le-mans style gas cap, they love to play with it. And my car is completely open cockpit! I have all the correct safety equipment but you would think they might give a little closer look. I've witnessed some ridiculous things...vice-grip on a leaking brake caliper line, glued on lug nuts- I'm not talking about slow cars either! I must be getting old or something... Crying or Very sad
HotRodDaddy

2974.18 points

1994 Eagle Talon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Safety First!! Reply with quote

Personally if it were me I wouldnt go back to a track that didnt do a tech inspection worthy of NASCAR or just extremely strict!! I would prefer to have a tech guy crawl under my car take panels off and keep me there for 2 hrs to make sure my car was safe rather than just wave me by!!
I mean sheesh i got a wife and kids i wanna see get older no need to kill myself on a track because i didnt know i was supposed to do this or that and a tech inspector didnt point it out! can you tell me where those lax in safety tracks are so i never go there even as a spectator?!! Shocked

F-Monster

152.00 points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you plan to race you should consider haveing a roll bar and good harness in you car. Now your car running 8's is not hard to control but as you get faster things start to change quickly. I feel that once you get in the 7's you should start thinking seriously about a roll bar and if you ever plan on going 6's or even 5's in the future you really need a good cage. It is even more important if you run on stock type suspention or small tires.I would not worry about people knocking your streetcar for haveing a cage in it rember if you have an accident it is better to be alive in safe "race car"than to be dead in a cool street car with no cage.
techinspector1

100.00 points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brokenparts, you have a flip-open cap on an open car?

2004 NHRA Rulebook, General Regulations, 1:5, page 192.....
"A positive-locking, screw-on fuel tank cap is mandatory on all open-bodied cars."

OOPS......

Never try to teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Drag Racing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: