Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Chevy 383 flywheel/transmission/balancing question-

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hanz

4953.56 points

2003 Dodge Ram

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Chevy 383 flywheel/transmission/balancing question- Reply with quote

I have a customer who I would like to build a 383 to replace his 305 in a 92 Caprice.

The (cast) 383 crankshaft will require an externally balanced 400 flywheel. This would be a 168 tooth flywheel, and the current 305 flywheel shows to be 153 teeth (smaller diameter.)

So my question is, will his current transmission (I don't know what the 92 Caprice has?) accept the larger flywheel, with a different starter?

Or does someone make a 153 teeth 400 flywheel?

Or do I have to use a more expensive steel crank that can be had internally balanced?

Thanks-Hanz

SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bet the caprice has a 700R4 in it. (that's my guess anyway). It should have a flexplate.
bill jones

4414.80 points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-I haven't seen where the 168's will fit inside stick shift bellhousings and I don't think they'll fit inside an automatic trans bell either, maybe the older turbo 400's or turbo 350's.
-I also do not know of any 153 tooth 400 balanced flexplates but I would think that SOMEONE must have something.
-What I've done is to use the small flexplate that fits everything and then get a a 454 flexplate (has a thick weight) and a 400 flexplate (has a thinner weight), remove the weight from the 454 and use the 400 as a reference then weld the 454 weight to the 383 small diameter flexplate.
-Then you have to have a machine shop that balances match the 383 flexplate to the 400 one or balance the 383 using the newly modified flexplate.
--------------------------------------
-I've been thru this a dozen times and it is always an issue to contend with so at one time I made up several of the small flexplates got'm all balanced to a known already balanced 400 crank and they have all been sold real easily.
---------------------------------------
-Any balancing shop that does 383's should have the easiest answer.
-The real question still is whether the large flywheel will fit the trans and if you can get a starter.
Hanz

4953.56 points

2003 Dodge Ram

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update- I found the flywheel - Pioneer makes it.

New question to the 'computer guys'- If I build this 383, 9.5:1, with a mild Comp computer friendly cam, and install it in this 92 Caprice replacing the current 305, will their be any computer concerns or drivability issues I need to know about?

Thanks again-Hanz

2x4

2189.72 points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking the larger flywheel requires a different starter. I'll crawl under mine if ya want me to verify that (I have the large flywheel too).

I'm not the computer friendly whiz, but I would think that you may have some fuel problems (lean) with all stock parts bolted to that 383. Surely the bigger engine has a different appetite for fuel. i would also say the timing curve will need to be addressed. That shouldnt be a major problem, but still a gremlin.

The 92 caprice has a T/B injected 305 and a older style ECM with a chip right? Just out of curiousity, I wonder if a 92 F-Body with a 350 TPI could donate a distributor, ECM & chip?? It makes sense Question
Hanz

4953.56 points

2003 Dodge Ram

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2x4- I found the smaller flywheel...

I was told by a local shop to replace the prom with a stock 350 one for about $75 and it should be ok...

Any opinions?

Hanz

2x4

2189.72 points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that would work too Laughing Can the stock injectors handle it? I know with the TPI's, the 305/350's had different ratings.

Dont happen to have a p/n handy on that smaller flywheel do you? I looked all over & couldnt find one! Ended up getting a TCI one, grrr...
96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The computer needs work, those use a speed density system, so the computer guesses at airflow and therefore fuel based on mapped perameters saved on the chip, obviously this will move a lot more air. [url]pcmforless.com[/url] can do the chip, he is the most popular tuner with the Impala/Caprice crowd, most of us have 94-96 cars with LT1 and a different computer but Bryan can do this too, and the price is reasonable. The tranny is a 700R4 or 4L60 really same thing just minor differences and I forget which year was the changeover. Might look into a 454TBI and injectors to fuel that thing, or at least change the injectors they do need to be bigger. A good souce for info on that stuff would be http://thirdgen.org/, and for more Caprice based info http://www.impalassforum.com/, the Impala site is more LT1 stuff but still lots of relavent info, you will see me there a lot.

That tranny also needs to be addressed, it won't hold that motor for very long, but can be made to handle it, I can make some recommendations on that stuff too if you want.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: