Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

single turbo small block chev.?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magnum

100.00 points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: single turbo small block chev.? Reply with quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is there anyone that would be interested in a single turbo system for a-body cars( chevelle,el camino,GTO,skylark etc.) with a small block chev. I am designing the system right now for my 69 malibu and I am considering building a couple kits if anyone shows any interest. The turbos that are available can support up to 750 HP, obviously depending on the motor, and that is the street system I am designing. More power can be achieved with a bigger turbo.
its a blow thru system that will be as inexpensive as i can make it without sacrificing quality/durability.
casey@hammerdownperformance.com
vettepacecar

100.00 points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

send me more info on this, pics
magnum

100.00 points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I have some pics of the system I will post them or send them to you VIA e-mail if thats O.K.

thanks
Casey
rking

100.00 points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool
I would be instrested in the system
thanks rick king

email
sirekings@yahoo.com
magnum

100.00 points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rick
I will ad you to my e-mail list and send info when the system gets closer to complete.

I love the classic muscle of the 60s and 70s. That is one of the many reasons that I am building a turbo system for classic chevrolets. The turbocharging industry has catered to imports for long enough, its time someone stepped up to include carburated V-8 powered vehicles in the "Turbo" sub-culture. There are many guys across the U.S. that can turbocharge anything. But what I have found is that they charge way too much for thier products and thier systems.
I want this system to be as much affordable as it is powerfull. The guys who charge 11 or 12 hundred dollars for a single pair of turbo V8 headers make my head spin.
The turbo system that I am developing for my chevelle will use as much of, if not all of the original engine set up that came from the factory. I want the system to be as universal as possible, able to fit many different cars and trucks that came with the small block. So far the system cannot be ran with a factory A/C compressor. But you cant run tall valve covers with the factory A/C compressor iether. As far as aftermarket A/C,I dont know yet.
Installation / modifications:
should be fairly straight forward. removal of the exhaust manifolds/headers, replaced with turbo exhaust header, manifolds. Electric fans and electric fuel pump will be mandatory. Duall exhaust cars will have to have at least a 3" single exhaust pipe from the turbo to under the car where it can go backinto dual if desired. Holley carburator with mild modifications is necessary, as well as a boost/vaccume referenced fuel regulator. A boost guage and fuel press. guage will be needed.
No real heavy mods. to the car will be needed. it should all fit under the hood. The system I am designing will not use an intercooler, so there will be no need to trim the radiator support to fit one unless you want to install one down the road. I do recommend that a water/alchahol injection system be used in the absence of an intercooler. I may even make it so you have to buy a water injection system with the kit for durability and longevity reasons.
Engine and power:
I have succesfully ran 10 LBS of boost with a tired high miealeage 350 that was completely stock. But that was with an intercooler. I feel that you should be able to run 10LBS of boost on a cast piston motor as long as you have the water/alchahol injection tuned properly. as well as the motor tuned properly for the boost. Forged pistons are recomended however. The stronger the engine is built the more power potential it will have. some camshafts wont work with turbochargers.(e-mail me for THAT explination)
As far as power, that is one of the two best things about a turbocharger. You can make as much power as you want with a turbo. The system I am designing should be capable of as much as 750 horsepower on the right engine. On an average 355 that has forged pistons, good flowing heads and a mild cam this system on 93 octane fuel should be able to see 600 HP at the crank very easily, that is a conservitive number. The second best thing about a turbo is its driveability on the street. It makes no boost under normal driving/ cruising conditions and retains decent miealage if you drive it conservitavely. However the kitten turns into a lion when you go to full throttle and the vehicle goes under boost. Its performance with economy, to a degree.
The cost is still to be determined. It should be less than other comperable systems, if there are any other systems for the carburated small block. I would like to see the system be no more than $2500. However it may be more when the dust settles, hopefully it will be less.
There are smaller details that I will reserve for another time if anyone is interested.

Thanks
Casey
doug242ti

100.00 points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey, I grew up building firebirds and now build turbo volvo's, can I offer some insight?

First off, there is no reason to do this with blow through carb's, in simple terms this setup sucks. There is a cheap alternative to this, double for SBC's.

Goto a junkyard, grap a complete EFI intake set up. All you need to control is the fuel.

Guess what? You can use Megasquirt, its a DIY fuel controller (there are versions that control spark as well. This is what I run on my turbo volvo, there are guys making clear over 500hp with them.

Guess what? It'll only cost you 150 bucks to get it and assemble it.

So, now that fuel is set up... since your going v8's and singles, you could run Holset turbos off turbo dodge diesel rams. I picked up mine, NEW for about 250 off ebay.

I managed to spin my way to a 13.6 @ 106 in my 242 last weekend at only 14psi.. these turbos are cheap, tough as hell, will run clear up to 40psi and they use a t3 flange.

Couple things to consider... for SURE ditch the damn carb's... trust me, been there done that. You'll hate it.

82 Volvo 242ti powered by holset (all 22psi's worth)
Sponsers: Edo Performance Evolve
magnum

100.00 points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input Doug.
I agree with fuel injection being better in a turbo/supercharged application. I have researched MEGASQUIRT and feel that it is a great way to get into a cheap but effective EFI system. I plan on getting the MEGACQUIRT computer system for when I go to EFI.
However I also know that a properly tuned and modified holley carb can be a cheap alternative, even to the MEGASQUIRT system ,that is extremely effective.
The reason I am building a turbo system around a carb is that everyone that has a performance small block chevrolet also has a carb that they can modify to run with a turbo. And all they have to buy for it are some new floats and a power valve, the rest is set-up and modification that anyone can do. Yes they take time to tune properly and you have to use a screwdriver instead of a laptop. But there are hundreds of guys accross the country that are using carbs with great success. some that swear they will never go to EFI because the carb works that good for them.
I, myself have ran boost through a Holley 650 double pump for the last 3 years. It was very hard to get it to run right without kowing all the proper mods to do to it. but eventually I learned a few tricks that helped out greatly with its driveability, and it functions great now. It still is not as good as an EFI system but it cost me barely anything to set up myself.
And to me that is the greatest factor,cost. The advise you gave about going to the junk yard was a good one for the guy that wants to go that rout. But the tuned port injection is the only port injection system that I know of that could fit an early small block(an LT1 intake wont work on pre-93 engines). It is only good to about 4500 to 5000 RPM until it drops off in power.
Then you would have to purchase big enough injectors to handle the fuel needs of a turbo aplication and that will be over $350 on top of the junkyard manifold, EFI fuel pump, the MEGASQUIRT system and other little odds and ends. And hopfully you have a laptop or know a buddy that has one he will let you use. For those that can do these things it would be a great way to go.
But a carb is still a cheaper and effective way to go. And for a lot of guys that is what matters most.
In the future, this turbo system could easily be made to blow through a throttle body if someone wanted to do that.
I appreciate any input at this point in the development stage, and welcome any comments or suggestions that anyone wants to air.

Thanks Doug!

Casey
rking

100.00 points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool

hello,
I agree with using fuel injection. you can get a blow throgh system from an 80 TA tha thad a 301, but they where hard to keep in tune if you did any modds. I was thinking of using a svytem with a TPI and going only up to 15lbs of boost. This would look killer under the hood of an elky
just my 2 cents
later and
gb
rk
doug242ti

100.00 points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you've gone EMS you'll never go back Wink LOL

I've had buddies who did blow through, their biggest bitch was you could only get them to run right at WOT or an idle... everything else sucked.

Atleast, consider (for either set up) a wideband 02 sensor from www.innovatemotorsports.com I can't even begin to tell you the improvements/saftey this has brought to my car Very Happy

good luck!!

Doug

82 Volvo 242ti powered by holset (all 22psi's worth)
Sponsers: Edo Performance Evolve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: