Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

advice on 327 buildup?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
67nova-kaine

100.00 points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: advice on 327 buildup? Reply with quote

I am wondering what cam to run and intake 327 .030 large journal 3.25 stroke, .100 pop up forged pistons camel bump 64 cc heads 194/150. just weekend driving,and also what would be compression ratio be ? thanks for any suggestions, car is 67 nova ss. 350 auto 3.08 rear for now.

Last edited by 67nova-kaine on Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
jeep_406

53123.48 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:25 am    Post subject: What Cam To Use: Reply with quote

With those heads I figure you're just driving it on the street. The original 327 350 HP cam worked well in the 327. I had one like yours in a Vega that I drove year round for about 4 years. Mine had a Munci 4-speed with a Dodge Dart rear end with 3.23 gears. The cam Idled well with good vacuum and it pulled decently.

If it was mine I'd lean toward one of the smaller Competition Cams Extreme Energy Cams.
chiphead

100.00 points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what converter you're gonna run and how 'snappy' you want it to be at lower RPMs. I'd use a comp flat tappet XE grind, like a XE268 or similar, depending on compression and manifolding. How much volume in cc's is the domed part of piston? Zero decked? Whats the compressed thickness of the gasket you're using? Desired powerband?
cobblemaster

1528.60 points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those heads might also be worn out. Just in case, look at some of the cheaper aftermarket heads. Some breathe very nicely. 268 is a good pick on the cam.
That rear is a problem, too. 3.55 or so would help quite a bit.
Are you against using the 350?

chiphead

100.00 points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I assumed that he would have the heads rebuilt correctly, new valves, guides, positive seals, matched springs, port cleanup, etc. I went kinda mild on the cam selection due to high rear gears and the fact that I like my low/midrange power where a street engine mostly operates.

I forgot manifold suggestions. Since I tend towards the conservative, I'd suggest the performer or RPM or air gap dual plane for a street app. IMHO, people pay more attention to peak #s and not to the area under the torque/HP curves. Perhaps a Torker I or Street dominator, but those tend to decrease the tire-frying low end that I love. And I know I may be tarred and feathered for this one, but for a street engine, I love a well-prepared quadrajet, the late '70s 800 CFM ones with the APT and electric choke. Its just that they were so anemic in stock form that freaks everybody out when trying to tune them.

67nova-kaine

100.00 points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: good suggestions Reply with quote

thanks for all your input guys, I'm not against 350's I just wanted to keep the 327 correct to the car,since i had it already.The heads are done,probably will run a 2200 stall,the rear will be changed to a corporate 8.5 as more funds available.I was just curious as what others may suggest.
540Z

100.00 points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 327 with flat tops, camel hump heads, stock 4bbl manifold, holley 600 on adapter, and a manley copy of the 327/350 cam. This was in a 70-1/2 Camaro with a turbo 400, stock converter, 3.08s. This was a really bad combination. The cam was lumpy and didn't make power until 3000 rpm or so.

Those old cams had a ton of seat timing for little .050" duration. An Xtreme or Crane Powermax will give you much better low and midrange torque for the same .050" duration. Something like the Xtreme 268 or 274 with that setup would be nice.

Actually, with .100" popup pistons and 64cc heads, you're going to have nearly 11:1 compression if not more, depending on deck height and gasket thickness. So you may need to bleed some pressure off with more seat timing anyway - maybe look at more than 274 degrees.

I have a 9.8:1 compression 327 in my 240Z that's running the XS274S-10 solid flat tappet Xtreme cam, Holley dual plane and 700 cfm Pro-Jection. This is a bit lumpy, but still streetable. With that much more compression, you're going to have a decent low end.

100.00 points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool
Hello
I have a 327 that is 30 over I have about 8 grand into it and would let you have it for 4 grand US dollars. There is a M-22 tranny that would go with it. it has 350 miles on it with 15 passes in a 1968 chevy PU
the heads are 1968 double humps tons of work done to the entire motor. balanced internily. let me know if you need info I can call you
later
and GB

Rick king
cobblemaster

1528.60 points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only mentioned the age of the heads relative to better breathing modern heads, and respect your desire to keep it original.
Blown65

3519.10 points

1965 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crane makes a nice hydraulic cam for the small block. I used to run it in my street strip car with great success,(it had a 327 as well). It was in the nabourhood of 292 degrees advertised. It had about .510 int/ .512 ex lift. Dual patter cam. Duration was about 234@.050.

I was pretty rough idle but it would get up a snort when you put your foot in it.

Go through the crane web sight and it will be there.

Hope this helps
Thanks

Hanz

4953.56 points

2003 Dodge Ram

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

540Z wrote:

I have a 9.8:1 compression 327 in my 240Z that's running the XS274S-10 solid flat tappet Xtreme cam, Holley dual plane and 700 cfm Pro-Jection. This is a bit lumpy, but still streetable. With that much more compression, you're going to have a decent low end.

540Z- Hey nice car, and super website. I think the 240 and 260 were one of the best looking cars. Don't see them on the road anymore, due to that rust problem I guess you found out about! Couple questions I didn't see on your site- How much does it weigh now, and how does it go around corners? Hanz

540Z

100.00 points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope 67nova-kaine doesn't mind me hi-jacking this thread to respond.

Hanz, thanks for the compliments on my Z and website!

The car is 2810 lbs with a 3/4 tank without me in it, 3030 with me and 49/51 F/R weight split with me. I had it corner-weighted before hitting a road course open track day in Sept. at New Hampshire Intl Speedway. I was really surprised how heavy the car weighed in. I guess all that A/C, structural reinforcement, etc. added up quicker than I'd guessed.

Yes, it goes around corners very well - the 240Z did that pretty well to begin with. That's the reason I built it - or I'd have gone with a 1st gen Camaro or something. But I have 235/45-17 and 255/40-17 R-compound DOT road race tires (Toyo RA-1s) on the car, light wheels, coil-over springs, adjustable struts, etc. to make it very sticky. I guess a skid-pad test would be interesting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: