Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

350 engine new guy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bollmanz28

100.00 points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 8:36 am    Post subject: 350 engine new guy Reply with quote

i owm a 78 camaro. daily driver. i blew the first moter it was bored 60 over.was in a hurry to get another moter bought one out of a 88 extended truck.its a 350 i put a edelbrock performer intake 600 edelbrock carb double humpback heads 194 150. 3.73 gears.traction bars with 295 50 tires.i read that the cams in a 88 truck smog.with headers will result in hp lossdue to the fact of back pressure loss.dont know what copression is. but i spin thru 1 and 2 i want to change cam with lopey idle knew to the hot rod game but learning.
96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are in luck an 88 block should be ready for roller lifters even if the engine came with flat tappets. A roller cam is worth the extra expense, and if your engine has the roller lifters already you can reuse them.
Now what are you looking for besides a little lope, do you still want to maintain the lowend torque or would you be willing to sacrifice a little for more highend HP? Also what tranny and torque converter are you running, or is it a stick?

On the heads, the double hump heads are badly outdated. I hate to say it but for little more money than what it cost to rebuild a set you can get a NEW set of 96+ Vortec heads( from the 350 trucks) these will outflow every previous production small block head even the old 2.02fuelly heads. They require a different intake, but Edlebrock makes that too.
bollmanz28

100.00 points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would sacrafice low end torqe for more top end hp.. the trans. is a 350 turbo.stock converter waiting to see what cam i use before getting one.your the second person who has said the vortex heads out flow the old ones i saw a dyno test in super chevy which showed 15.hp gains with th vortex heads. with a comp came 460.lift. with just head swap 462 hump backs. one cam i was looking at was a lunata 458 lift duraration 284 or magnum 480 comp cam.also im thinking when i get it bored about running 10.1 compression. i did some research on the moter and i believe my coprression now is 8.9 9.1 they used two different kinds of pistons in that truck wont know for sure untill i pull it back out.also found the cam spec for that moter 390 410 lift 600 rpm to 4200rpm power band which i know isnt enough.been doing alot of research but still new at this have no experience to fall back on and depending on how many people i ask thats how many different answers i get.id like to try and get 400hp.at least dont know if being realistic with what ive got.
96capriceMGR

20327.88 points

1996 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 10:1 is ambitious for a carbed street motor and iron heads, but you might get away with it. From my quick look through Summit looks like you are still looking at flat tappet cams, roller cams are really worth it if it is in the budget. Like I said that motor may already have roller lifters and is at least machined for them already so it is not like you are looking at a roller conversion, just using a roller cam where one belongs. They can use very aggressive lobes getting the valve open further for more duration. I am not sure how well it works in carbed engines but maybe at least consider the GM LT4 HOT cam, 218/226 .492/.492(with 1.5 rockers), I don't think it will get you 400hp, but will boost hp substantially and will lope, this is a popular cam with the LT1 crowd. Under magazine(see very optomized for the dyno) dyno testing this cam with the right heads can see a little over 400HP. I am just trying to help here I really hope someone else steps in since I am a bit lost in the world of carbs, I understand the LT1 really well and it is really just one step above a standard 350, shares many parts so hopefully I am at least on track. Here http://www.malcams.com/legacy/misc/CamData.htm is a list of roller cams for GM. If you would really rather use a flat tappet cam I am sure we can work with that too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: