Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Sad Day For The Old 383
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robins44

18797.16 points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Sad Day For The Old 383 Reply with quote

Been driving the crap out of the old 383 the past few summers. Been running really sweet despite getting warm(not overheating) on some dune trips, never really tackled that issue completely.

But ive had a feeling it would be best to freshen it up (no indicators or anything wrong, gut feeling) and was planning on doing that this winter, despite my wife bitching saying its running great and leave it alone lol.

Welp wouldn't ya know we took it on a long cruise sunday and on way back I was giving it a pretty good workout, touched the rev limiter in second on one pull and ive never had it drop out that hard and sound like that (scared both me and my wife lol) not sure if it was because the new exhaust is dumped at rear axle but it sounded weird lol.

Despite that the truck kept running great and no issues, it was a beautiful cool day so it never got passed 180 degrees.

Rolled into the pole barn and gave it a good free rev to 5800 and it kinda sounded funny, like I heard a rasp in exhaust ive never heard before, so stupid me gave it another quick rip to the moon, and when it idled back down that's when I heard what I think is a spun bearing, knock.

Shut it down immediately

Well after thinking about it, I did a quick poke around and checked vitals, nothing indicating anything catastrophic, so I fired her back up and sure enough shes got a knock, and kinda idles rougher and not to any particular rhythm. So I shut it off and here I sit.

A little history on engine

383 stroker

Ohio crank rotating assembly, nodular iron crank, keith black claimer pistons, lunati voodoo 60103 hydraulic flat tappet, vic jr intake, hooker super comps 1 3/4 3 inch collectors, 750 holley vacumme, 1.94 heads. should be about 9.5 to 1 compression. Nothing fancy

Ive always dreamed of some 210 afrs, a nasty hydraulic roller, some new pistons, possibly new rotating assembly depending on what you guys thought.

Question I have now is ive also been wanting to build a ls based engine, preferably a 6.0 if I could find one at a decent price. Obviously, just like anybody I want as much power as I can afford (pry 3000-4000k over winter) id like to go carbed and cammed route on this and freshen up whatever engine I find.

I have nitrous setup and plumbed and everything on truck already, and only sprayed current engine a few times years ago.

Dillema is, is it worth it to go the ls route? Could I make 550 600 horse on a ls with a 4k budget?

Is it wise to dump a ton of money into what I have? The only thing holding me up on the ls and swaying me towards what I already have is finding a good engine to start, and headers. I have badass hooker super comps for my sbc right now and my exhaust sounds amazing, I would want nothing less for the ls engine. But nobodys making long tubes that will fit a 4x4 k1500 with a ls swap.

I got all the time in the world and am just seeing what you guys think

Thanks

Cody
af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cracks me up everyone thinks any LS would make 500+

Yea you have good heads (maybe) But everything else every engine has sense day 11111111

Pistons rods and crank..........
robins44

18797.16 points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse me if this doesnt seem very well put together, im typing this on my phone.

Right now i have a flat tappet can, stamped steel rocker, cheap pistons, and a possible burnt crank. Things that are swaying me to stay with gen 1 small block chevy are it already fits perfectly, have a badass ignition setup and pro billet dizzy. Some sweet hooker headers, and a exhaust that sounds amazing.

If i stay gen 1 id want possibly need

New rotating assembly

Hydraulic roller cam / lifters

New timing set

Heads

Rockers

I could reuse, intake, valve covers, timing cover, pan, etc

If i go with say a lq4 id want to freshen it up and put a big cam in it, but ive already got good heads, and a proven rotating assembly. Id need intake, msd controller, and a set of headers.

I welcome all opinions and knowledge!

My last option and least desirable to me would be pull 383 down inspect damage, repair on cheap, and build jewel on stand over time (wife likes that one for obvious reasons lol)
Paul P

81240.86 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gen 1's still make good power. If it is a lot of time and $ to make the swap you could just get a more stout short block and spray it.
6.95@98.6 MPH 1/8mi
10.97@121 MPH 1/4mi
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LQ4 all the way. Put it in stock then after you get it working modify it.

I challenge you to push yourself.
Big Dave

119910.22 points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was reading on an engine building site that a lot of them are finding it hard to locate four inch bore buildable blocks now a days since the last one was cast twelve years ago and were fairly rare even then only being used in some Chevy pick-ups. They all recommend buying an aftermarket block as is to be expected, but as Smoke states the SBC's replacement is a very potent package.

I just hate having to be forced over to the Dark Side (EFI) which is why I stopped building motors (my failing health made for a good excuse).

If you do go the aftermarket route keep in mind as displacement goes up so does the need to feed the motor enough air so consider a good set of heads part of the SBC aftermarket block rebuild. Just don't stop at a 406, think big!

You need to start a spread sheet containing the parts and price needed to build a motor (include the fasteners and replacement tin such as an aftermarket oil pan required to clear a stroker crank.) At the same time run simulations of the engine builds in a desktop dyno. Examine the power curves of each engine build in an attempt to raise and flatten the torque curve. Then compare that engine combo with the actual build cost to maximize your bang for the buck.

I think in the end you will discover that the LQ-9 or a similar truck motor project build to be your best buy overall. Just keep in mind you can not get a lot of truck parts to fit in a car. If you can but a short block and pick and choose mostly stock parts you will be ahead financially. I know that all parts such as heads do not interchange, so others will have to guide you in parts selection as I have no idea what fits what.

Big Dave
cutlass389

8544.62 points

1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Alternative idea from an old ghost Reply with quote

Hello y'all, it's me. Sorry. Broke my car and subsequently sold my car but still think about stuff all the time.
Been planning for a budget return to the hobby for some time and thought I would share my engine recipe. GM part # 12530283 is an all new 4bolt main 4" bore gen 1 style 350 with good stuff and a weak hyd roller cam for $2,050 Jegs price. I would custom spec a hydraulic roller with 220* @ .050 intake-230* @ .050 exhaust with .475" lift maximum (so you don't have to machine anything) ON A 108* LSA! The 108* LSA is key and important to maxing midrange pulling torque. Would also need better springs-26915 beehives or Z28's. For $3,000 total you would get 400 hp and 400 pd/ft of torque with all new components and will snug right up to your existing mounts and headers. Will need a Vortec intake though.

10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

me personally, i would build a carbed LS. however, i cant see getting to 500hp RELIABLY on a $4K budget. that being said, there's plenty of swap meet parts to be had for the old SBC. IMO, that's the route to go on your budget.

10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, and welcome back cutlass389 Cool

SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10sec.et wrote:
me personally, i would build a carbed LS.

Really? Give up the EFI?

I challenge you to push yourself.
robins44

18797.16 points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely going carbed cam route if i go ls. Hoping to score a ly6 for a good price that already has l92 heads. Then just freshen her up and maybe some good pistons and rockers, new oil pump, chain, etc. Hoping with the l92s and a nice cam id be at least 5 550 horse. With some nice fordged pistons id spray it as well.
10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMOKEmUP wrote:
10sec.et wrote:
me personally, i would build a carbed LS.

Really? Give up the EFI?

working on a small budget, sure. now, if i already had a LS with computer, harness and all...... hell no.

cutlass389

8544.62 points

1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello 10, nice to be back. I'll try not to annoy as before.
af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cutlass389 wrote:

Annoy what...
Good to read you!
10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
cutlass389 wrote:

Annoy what...
Good to read you!

i was thinking the same thing. i dont remember any issues. then again, i dont remember most of today confused

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: