Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Holley HP EFI
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:16 am    Post subject: Holley HP EFI Reply with quote

I just got a Summit package delivered today with a Holley HP EFI for the boat. I went with the TPI/ stealth ram kit because it's the closest to my Accel kit that's on it now. Hopefully I'll have time on Sunday to install it.

I challenge you to push yourself.
Paul P

81240.86 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. The Accel is junk?
6.95@98.6 MPH 1/8mi
10.97@121 MPH 1/4mi
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much. Using it on the boat the circuit board is corroded in several places.

10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will be glad you did. thats a great system. weve started using them on all our LS stuff.

SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a little time and started the EFI swap today. The old system is pulled and the Holley is almost in, just need to finish up a couple more wires.

Here's a pic of the engine with the old set Accel system.

After going through everything in the package I realized no installation instructions come with it. So I figured they must be on the CD and went ahead and installed the software. They have a bunch of pdf's on the disk but no installation instructions. The help section on the Holley EFI program doesn't launch and I don't see any default tunes. The ECU doesn't have power yet so I'm hoping after I connect to the ECU it will have a base tune I can work with. Wiring wise the only question were about are the loose wires. Everything else is labelled and easy enough. After a bit of searching online I finally found the info I needed.

On the battery connections they say to connect the ECU directly to the battery. Since I have two batteries and a battery switch I'm going to connect the positive connection to the common output on the switch and the ground to the block on the same bolt the batteries are grounded on.

10sec.et - any suggestions for a base tune to start with?

SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out why the software wasn't working correctly. The program needs to run with administrator privileges and I was using it under a non admin account. Once I did that I was able to get at everything.

I finished the wiring and tried starting it but it didn't fire. After I did the tps learn program it fired right up. Very Happy I had to adjust the temp enrichment so it would go into learn mode. After that it was making changes to the base fuel table on the fly, pretty cool. Now I need to finish cleaning up the seats and secure some of the wiring then off to the lake.

10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry im late to the game here. i haven't logged in in a couple days. been pretty busy. looks like you're getting it sorted out. PM me if you need quicker assistance. it will send a email straight to my phone.

SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disappointing day at the lake. The outdrive is making a bunch of not so good noises. This sucks. Finally get the motor running decent and the outdrive acts up, can't catch a break. Tomorrow I'll take the drive apart and see what's going on. I really want to get this thing dialed in, so far very impressed with the holley system.

SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a used, like new, outdrive on CL. The drive is an AQ275 but for a four cylinder motor which has a different gear ratio in the lower unit than my v8. I bought it and swapped on my lower unit, using the upper unit and intermediate section from the new one.

Finally able to get out on the water and do some tuning. Immediately a noticeable difference in the tune. The tune only got better after the self tuning feature did it's magic. With the old Accel unit I had a stumble off idle. Now the boat just jumps, very snappy response and it pulls great through the entire RPM range. I didn't play around with the timing, just used the default holley timing map with some minor adjustment to the high kPA / low rpm area. The holley map had 25 degrees of timing in these areas but for a boat I can hit high load at low rpms so I took it down to around 15 degrees. I can always add more but it felt pretty good.

However since it's a boat I had problems. After doing some tuning then a bunch of tubing we parked and relaxed for a bit. Went to restart it and starter let go, or so I thought. What really happened is the motor was hydro locked. Have to give my brother credit for the diagnosis, but he was right. The plugs were all wet and a big puddle of water was pushed out when cranking with the plugs out. Hopefully I can get it back on the water soon for some more tuning.

10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know which is worse, race cars or boats. Laughing

glad the Holley system is working out. if you havent already figured it out, you can transfer the fuel learn table multiple times. on the street cars, its usually dead on by the 4th time. it just keeps getting better every time you transfer.

Paul P

81240.86 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did the hydro get in the motor?
6.95@98.6 MPH 1/8mi
10.97@121 MPH 1/4mi
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul P wrote:
How did the hydro get in the motor?

One of the exhaust flappers is missing, didn't realize it or it came off in the water. We got a couple big waves splashing against the back of the boat and it must have been enough to push the water up and over the riser.

10sec.et wrote:
if you havent already figured it out, you can transfer the fuel learn table multiple times. on the street cars, its usually dead on by the 4th time. it just keeps getting better every time you transfer.

Yep. I transferred it many times just bring it down to an idle and transfer learn table while it's running, very cool.
I want to get some knock sensors, any recommendations as to which ones to use?

Paul P

81240.86 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10sec.et wrote:
i dont know which is worse, race cars or boats. Laughing
yeah no kidding.

Wow damn flapper that sucks. At least it was fresh water.

For knock sensors. I have a set of GM ones that are the Y cable for the LS motors that you can have for free if you think you can use them.

6.95@98.6 MPH 1/8mi
10.97@121 MPH 1/4mi
10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the GM sensors are what we use. what connector do you have?

SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10sec.et wrote:
what connector do you have?

I have the connection at the main harness. Not sure if Holley makes a harness which plugs in or I have to make one.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: