Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Pistons-- what should I conclude from this pic?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Big Block
View previous topic :: View next topic  
journeyman

4016.18 points

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Pistons-- what should I conclude from this pic? Reply with quote

OK guys,

When I pulled this motor apart after 500 miles, I found the pistons looked like this:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8kKPJNjpNkYSjhDV18yelp6eTA/edit?usp=sharing

The totally black ones were perfectly dry on the top surface and are from the UPPER plane of the TBI manifold (two from each side of the motor). The ones that still show some silver were a little oily on top and were from the lower manifold plane (again, 2 from each side of the engine).

What would you conclude from this?

Thanks!!!
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Pistons-- what should I conclude from this pic? Reply with quote

journeyman wrote:
OK guys,

What would you conclude from this?

Thanks!!!

Very typical with a throttle body.
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what Adam is saying that the fuel distribution looks very uneven, which is typical of throttle bodies.

I challenge you to push yourself.
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMOKEmUP wrote:
I think what Adam is saying that the fuel distribution looks very uneven, which is typical of throttle bodies.

Yes, thanks Smoke, that is what I was saying. I should write more so people can be totally confused with what I am trying to say LOL Embarassed
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to add that the injector that supplies the washed pistons should be looked at.
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMOKEmUP wrote:

Big Blocks have a real problem with fuel distribution. This due to the good port bad port that Edelbrock tried to address with the angled Trantula single plane intake manifold (and Crower addressed with different length and angled velocity stacks on their mechanical fuel injection), in addition to the normal distance issues of the end cylinders running leaner than the inner cylinders in a single four barrel carburetor.

Big Dave
motorman

513.18 points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dave wrote:
SMOKEmUP wrote:

Big Blocks have a real problem with fuel distribution. This due to the good port bad port that Edelbrock tried to address with the angled Trantula single plane intake manifold (and Crower addressed with different length and angled velocity stacks on their mechanical fuel injection), in addition to the normal distance issues of the end cylinders running leaner than the inner cylinders in a single four barrel carburetor.

Big Dave
some chevy engines use 2 different flow rate injectors to solve this problem
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

motorman wrote:
Big Dave wrote:
SMOKEmUP wrote:

Big Dave
some chevy engines use 2 different flow rate injectors to solve this problem

Not with a TBI they don't

Big Dave
Paul P

81574.74 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since they only have 2 injectors on the Big Block TBI I don't different size injectors would be an option. Kind of a problem.

1971 - Chevelle 408 SBC N/A
6.86@102.5 MPH 1/8mi
10.78@122 MPH 1/4mi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Big Block All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: