Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Oil in Coolant

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Other - Engine Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
87IrocTim

16836.12 points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Oil in Coolant Reply with quote

Well if any of you are wondering why I post my Cummins issues on Smokemup, it is because I haven't found another forum specifically for Dodge and Cummins where I get reasonable advice that so far has always turned out to be true. With that being said, here is what I've got going on.

Recently when I was just checking fluid levels one morning, I pulled the radiator cap and saw what none of us hope to see. Globs of chocolate stuck to the underside of the cap. There was no water in the oil, just oil in the water.

First thing I did just because well, I wanted to see inside the engine, was order a victor-reinz head gasket kit and 8 hours in my friends shop and 30 beers later, did it all nice like.

Late october I moved from SC back to RI, the fluid was green and pretty before I left. (randomly placed fact).

Now I didn't flush the radiator because well, I didn't feel like it. It was cold and that's my excuse. Still not used to RI cold. But I did put all knew fluid in it. I plan on removing the oil cooler and pressure testing it which normally I would have done first if I wasn't so intent on seeing the cylinder walls, (which were all crosshatched nicely).

Either way, do any of you have any other opinions on what I should check out while i get into it again? Runs fine, no smoke, no skipping, and only a minor oil leak from the front main seal.
af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dump the oil.... I mean the radiator and all will be good......
AND IF you have the killer dowel??? Take care of it now....
10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

killer dowel????

i dont know crap about a Cummins. elaborate.

87IrocTim

16836.12 points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes the killer dowel. I have done a little google investigation and read a lot about it. Seems like a relatively simple fix as well. I do not start the new job until the second week of April, so give me 1 good 50+ degree day and ill have the dowel blocked up.

And 10secet, from what I know it is a little steel pin behind the front gear cover (timing, cam, etc.) that was used while manufacturing the engine. Over time it can wiggle its way out and get jammed between the side of the case and cam gear, sometimes falling into the oil pan, more likely bursting through the case or taking a tooth off the cam gear, all scenarios crappy.

So Af2, I will flush the radiator and make sure all "water pump lubricant" is removed, and keep an eye on it over the next couple weeks. I will update on a later date. Oh and by the way, that #5 fuel plate you recommended has not yet destroyed my transmission. Everything seems to be going fine. Earlier today I ordered 4k governor springs with 60lb valve springs, but am holding off on installing them until I can afford new injectors.

Yes, I am well aware that the combination of it all will be a nightmare for the transmission, bare with me, I already have spoken with Goerand and once I am clear on my plans for the truck, they will build mine to handle my combination.

Oh yeah and quickly, any comfortable time frame I should re torque these head gaskets? Some people say tomorrow, some say in a week. They are all seagulls chasing cheetos as far as Im concerned. Next week seem reasonable?
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next week seems reasonable to me. I've gotten to where I retorque at assembly and never again. I do initial torque, retorque next day and maybe once more the next day. If they're a MLS style gasket I torque once as there isn't anything to really crush. Anything you do should be better than original since I'm sure the factory didn't retorque. Clay
af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I was the recipient of the dowel from hell. Luckily it only split the front case and not the gears. The funny thing is I heard it and looked at my son and said wfwt??? a day later it was leaking oil big time.

Man if you are not blowing through the converter with a 5 you are one lucky person...............

Mine is to the point it has to be fixed. You don't want stall when going 65 and have to pass..........
87IrocTim

16836.12 points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh it will go through the torque converter, but believe it or not I baby the truck 99% of the time because well, if I cant drive the truck to work, I will not make the money needed to work on the truck. An old lesson my old man told me years ago, "your truck is your bread and butter, don't f$*#k it up."

As for the head gaskets, I'm pretty sure victor reinze hg's are a steel layer in the middle, with whatever the black stuff is on each side. I did torque the heads to the factory specs of 120lbs on the long bolts, and 60lbs plus a half turn on the short bolts that run along the exhaust side. A lot of folks have claimed to tighten all the way up to 158lbs, I don't have the courage to go that high. But I will retorque them to a safe 125lbs, 130 if they don't feel like they are flexing, and another quarter turn on the shorts. I will not be pushing any psi over 30lbs for some time, so I wont worry at all in the mean time. Studs will be put on before the a new turbo regardless.

The valve springs and governor springs came in, so now I am itching for injectors, 5x.012's sound like a reasonable upgrade without getting too crazy, that will have to wait. I spoke with goerand or however its spelled yesterday and basically talked about overall goals of the truck.

In short, I said 500RWHP and approx. 1000 ftlbs of torque, mostly street, occasional strip, never propane or nitrous. Should be no more then $2000 ready to bolt on and go.

I will update as progress is made, videos and pictures as well. Unfortunately I have caught the fever for diesels, so it may be a long long time before I am playing with a gas toy again. Now the fun of saving and spending has begun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Other - Engine Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: