Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

new blown alky altered this year
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
altered

1795.60 points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam ive allways dyno tuned my motors but i think im going to pass on this one mainly because i dont care how much horsepower it puts out and really thats all i.d be getting from the dyno. an accurate a/f ratio seems impossible on a engine dyno with out a lot of special gadgets. i think im just going to do a few burnouts in front of the shop to get it close enough to make a pass. ive allways had better luck with plug readings than anything else. your thoughts?
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts also... But the burnout is not going to tell you nothing but if the bottom end lasted.

In October we changed Jets/Pills 3 times before we even ran. Everything changed as the day went on and we finally ran at dark. We were suppose to run at 1:00 PM and sat and sat and..........

This article is not even close but explains what is happening.

http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticles/reading-alcohol-spark-plugs.html
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would run at 300' and shut down to read plugs on first go, then 660' and the same. Then go 1000' and see if every thing is happy.....
Then you know what is going to happen MAYBE at 1320'

And last I hope you have at least 12.5:1 static or the motor will be not happy.

People don't realize even the Promods have to run there with the 14/71's and wee are running 6/71...
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im going to be needing you guys expertise on an alcohol setup we are taking to the track in a couple months. ive never tuned alky.

altered

1795.60 points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 sec,
adam has more actual track experience with blown alky than i do. ive built these motors before but ive never had to dial them on the track from scratch with all my money in it (makes a big diff)
adam
we plan on doing some short passes and creep up on a full pull, get the overdrive set than work on fuel and timing.
basically this whole season will be spent getting me and my crew experience with this type of motor and altitude changes and so on.
59 years old and still learnin(go figure)

altered

1795.60 points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not to change the subject but a friend of mine brought in a bowtie motor he bought from the nascar mechanics school out here at tx motor speedway. i took the motor apart and its still a 4.00 bore (they dont bore there blocks) it came with all the dry sump stuff as it is a factory dry sump block with all billet mains, 1/2 inch main galley, siamese cylinders the whole bit. anyhow i was very impressed with it and im going to try and get some for the shop. they dont come with heads or a cam(nascar top secret stuff) but they do have a jessal belt drive on them, lentz 6" rods and a callies 3.56 crank stuffed to 58 lbs with a new set of ross dish 2618 pistons.
i think these would make good foundations for customer motors who want to run a dry sump.

altered

1795.60 points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10sec.et wrote:
im going to be needing you guys expertise on an alcohol setup we are taking to the track in a couple months. ive never tuned alky.

if your talking carbureted alky thats a diff story! what are ya building?
my first alky motor had a 650 holley gas carb i drilled out and even drilled my own jets and ran denatured alcohol from wallmart and with a mallory sprint mag. i know for a fact that a lot of things work untill someone says it wont! Shocked
the bottom line is theres no real magic to running alcohol, in fact jetting wise its a lot more forgiving than gas. a little messy but that aint nothin for a stepper.

Thunderbird car show 036.JPG
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Thunderbird car show 036.JPG
 Filesize:  62.83 KB
 Downloaded:  365 Time(s)

af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

altered wrote:
10 sec,
adam has more actual track experience with blown alky than i do. ive built these motors before but ive never had to dial them on the track from scratch with all my money in it (makes a big diff)
adam
we plan on doing some short passes and creep up on a full pull, get the overdrive set than work on fuel and timing.
basically this whole season will be spent getting me and my crew experience with this type of motor and altitude changes and so on.
59 years old and still learnin(go figure)

I am no expert at all and have witnessed what happens when the wrong tune happens....

I hope you take it slow and build from there....... Blown Alky will kick your ass when you think you have a handle on it... Guaranteed!!

I think you are running NE1? That is a 7.60 index?
altered

1795.60 points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually we only run 1/8th mile in the shra program and its a 4.65 index all fed,s no door cars. 9 races at 5 or 6 different tracks in 3 states. i ran a 4.70 index blown gas 8 years ago with another outfit that has gone to 1/4 mile. the thing is the 1/8th mile tracks pay us better because the ne cars are kind of a big deal at short tracks. you know what im saying an added feature to there regular program along with the jets and wheelie cars. its not what i consider hard core competition its all about puttin on a show, john force burn out/make a lot of noise/pop the shute/get paid. other than building a car it dont cost anything to go racing and ill tell you what it,s getting to where some of these big events are costing 5 or 6 hundred bucks the way they have it broke up over 2 or 3 days and you still have to pay for your crew! now you have to pay for pit parking for your race car or they stick you in the grass. at abilene its all reserved parking now for a decent spot so i think ill be happier with this program.
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am saying nothing.........
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 days to go and found a few problems that are fixed. Pay attention to ?? what you think might be a problem and address....
altered

1795.60 points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
2 days to go and found a few problems that are fixed. Pay attention to ?? what you think might be a problem and address....

well so far weve had to put our efforts in reverse more times than i can count if you know what i mean.
packing all this business into a small block has been a challenge to say the least. speaking of problems, are you using a rev limiter of any kind or does the motor blow right through it? and second, are you using a throttle clip for the burn out.

af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O yes rev limiter a must (10,000) The video I posted was when my uncle remove the limiter thinking some of the problem was it. Well 3rd gear sprag broke and the motor went to the moon breaking most of the valve train including 6 Jessel key-way lifters. I don't think he will remove it again.

No clip for the burn out all right foot.......
altered

1795.60 points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we fired the motor in the car yesterday and everything went pretty smooth but i believe i want to put an electric primer on it. it takes quite a bit of fuel to start it with a squeeze bottle and keep it running long enough to catch prime. deicer is an absolute must as the butterflies practically froze shut in just a few seconds. the learning curve is in high gear but the motor sounds awesome and it motivated my crew to hear it run a little as well as my self.
the easy part is almost over and the driving part will soon begin. its kind of funny but when your building these things everybody wants to be the driver until you start it up than all those delusions quickly fade away.

af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a great time this weekend.. We were the fill in being AA/S but the crowd loved us...... Short wheel base major HP .... Howard ran 6.46 at 217...
We were still getting the new setup going and only ran a 7.30 at 184

We took out damn near all the cones on the last pass running a 8.80 at 134 mph
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Drag Racing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: