Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

new blown alky altered this year
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
altered

1795.60 points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: new blown alky altered this year Reply with quote

ill try to get some pics tomorrow but im not real good with the new improved cant figure it out camera.
the car is not quite finished yet but the motor is close. i used a dart shp block and stroked it 4" to a 427 with a comp custom grind and toped it with a 671 littlefield high helix retro blower and a enderle alky bird catcher. driveing a 80a-1 pump off the cam and shop made boom tubes. lots of chassis improvements in hopes it will go straitish down the track.
it seemed like a simple task when we were just talking about it but once we got started we figured out that the big boys had the same questions we have and the engine is one big expensive ongoing experiment that requires a continuous cash flow to keep it alive.
the spare parts alone are more than my entire 2008 race season expenses.
were going to run the car with the shra this year in comp eliminator-1 I think its a 4.65 index and is limited to front engine old school dragsters and altereds. bracket racing is out because consistecy is gone and I like heads up starts. I think it will be a fun year for my whole shop. by the way adam rbs in grass valley is were i buy my blowers and injection parts. JR is my guy on the inside that helps me with tech stuff

af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been pretty involved in My uncles Blown Willys as of late. We will be at the March meet next month with 3 other cars.

We use Kobelco and RCD out of Nevada City. I haven't been to or talked to RBS but I probably know some guys working there.

Good luck on the Altered. Bring lots of Valve springs..

At 431" we see 9500 through the run with heavy valves.
altered

1795.60 points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well im supposed to show up in temple tx march 27th but i dont know if i can be ready by then . my crew isnt no where near ready and my trailer is in rehab. id like to do a couple a tnt,s before we do any comp runs. this has always been an ill handling car or rather tempermental is a better word. yes the valve train is always the weak link it seems but on the other hand is (usually) a quick fix. ive o-ringed the manifold,blower and hat so i can do a quick top end down and up at the track and have a pretty good supply of titan head gaskets. i really wanted to run a longer car this year but the engine sucked up all the new car money faster than i projected and it aint over yet. ive had to go out and do some a/c work again to pick up the pace. my shop is doing ok but this car could cripple it without the extra income. anyhow its going to interesting to see how this car acts on the big end with the additional h.p. when i was running the 414 all motor it seems like my handling problems started as soon as the car started to nose over on the other end and the tires started unloading a bit.(just speculation) so im thinking now that ill be pulling hard all the way through the traps it may even go a little straiter. well thats what i keep telling myself anyhow.
altered

1795.60 points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
I have been pretty involved in My uncles Blown Willys as of late. We will be at the March meet next month with 3 other cars.

We use Kobelco and RCD out of Nevada City. I haven't been to or talked to RBS but I probably know some guys working there.

adam what kind of launch control do you use on that blower motor if any?
the reason i ask is im foot braking it in fear of a backfire.

af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

altered wrote:
af2 wrote:

adam what kind of launch control do you use on that blower motor if any?
the reason i ask is im foot braking it in fear of a backfire.

No electronics allowed.
.080" clutch clearance mash pedal,let go of hand brake and start shifting at 9500. B&J 4 speed
altered

1795.60 points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty much what i figured. the rules in eliminator 1 allow a trans brake and a 2step but no delay or retard of any kind. im running an ultra glide and i only use the button for reverse.
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

altered wrote:
anyhow its going to interesting to see how this car acts on the big end with the additional h.p. when i was running the 414 all motor it seems like my handling problems started as soon as the car started to nose over on the other end and the tires started unloading a bit.(just speculation) so im thinking now that ill be pulling hard all the way through the traps it may even go a little straiter. well thats what i keep telling myself anyhow.

PLEASE some way some how get some down force in the rear.... It will only get worse as speed goes up! I had 2 different friends loose their car up top from the same deal... Air will lift the ass end on your altered big time.
altered

1795.60 points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i put a small wing on the car in 09 and it helped considerably but im looking into a better set up. im glad you mentioned it im going to get back on that today. ive had to straiten up the car with the chute 1 time and i hope i never have to do that again. before i put the on the wing i have now a 15 mph wind would push me sideways on the top end. its funny that when our cars get hard to handle we allways come up with the same conclusion"WE NEED MORE POWER"
Twisted Evil

phydeaux

3114.12 points

1997 Oldsmobile Aurora

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still laughing at straightish. Sucks when steering with the throttle doesn't cut it anymore...
altered

1795.60 points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

af2 wrote:

so what your saying is theres 2 willys in the family.

af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

altered wrote:
af2 wrote:

so what your saying is theres 2 willys in the family.

Actually 4 if you count the sedan my son just bought to make into a gasser.
My uncle has his blown alcohol 33 and a blown small block street car and I've got my car that I hope to bring out next month.
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you still finding steel production cars?? Or are these all full body fiberglass replicas?

Big Dave
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave my car and Bill's AA/Supercharged are glass. His street car is steel and the sedan my son bought is steel.. The flippen steel doors are over $1k if you can find them.

Bill's street car back in 1981.

Bill's sedan that was wrecked on the top end in 1993. My son bought it and a clean original to build another.
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry altered I got side tract. Here is the AA/S car.

Damn the camera makes me gain pounds... Laughing
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what happens when 3rd gear sprag brakes.....
The play back showed 11,800 rpm... destroyed 6 Jessel key way lifters, 4 pistons, 6 smith bros push rods and a set of brand new nextec springs.....

[IMG]http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f11/33willys/more%20Willys/th_MVI_3582_zpscfuagoz4.mp4[/IMG]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Drag Racing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: