Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Playing with electricity

View previous topic :: View next topic  
phydeaux

3114.12 points

1997 Oldsmobile Aurora

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Playing with electricity Reply with quote

So a few years ago I quit wrenching and got back into industrial maintenance. Currently working at a CNC machine shop as the "go to" guy. The salary could be better but they treat me well and let me fiddle with cool stuff. Case in point: Yesterday one of our vertical mills started throwing overload alarms on the z axis. On a hunch I swapped the servo amplifier card for the 4th axis (a). The alarm went away and everyone was happy. About an hour into production this morning the alarm was back. This time on the x axis. Right then I new something was amiss. I checked the voltage from the power supply (nominal 12v) and found 11.4v idle, 10.3v running production.

AH HA!!!! Testing the company's faith, I stole a power supply from an old junk Dell computer. Plugged the p/s in, dead. At this point I said to myself, "self, this p/s is looking for the power button to get mashed". Googled the pinout for the p/s, jumpered the green and black wires, and it lives. Wired the thing into the servo amplifier cards and crossed my fingers. No release of magic smoke, 11.89v idle, 11.78v running production. Roughly 45 minutes down time and a working CNC until the OEM p/s gets here. Its gonna be a good day, tater.

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in industrial maintenance for 24 years doing machining, welding, installation, troubleshooting, etc. and I'll say I wish we could hire more people like you. I love seeing improvisation and working with what you have. Most of our newer guys would have found the problem and that would have been it - waiting on a power supply from the manufacturer would have been the solution. Myself and others try to get it into their head a temporary solution doesn't have to be pretty or long lasting - just make it run so we've got more time for a permanent solution. I love what you did - good job! Clay
af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would leave the p/s alone and have the factory back up available..... LOL
phydeaux

3114.12 points

1997 Oldsmobile Aurora

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Clay!!! 10sec was my mentor and one of the biggest lessons he taught me was to fix the problem, not the symptom. I figured since I had a known good power supply it would serve a dual purpose. To verify a bad power supply during testing, and keep the machine running temporarily. The shop would have been in a pretty big bind if I hadn't. We had a very hot job sitting on the table and wouldn't have been able to get it off the machine without moving the z axis. The end mill was down in a slot, trapping the job to the table. I take it back. I would have been able to remove the way covers and turn the ballscrew by hand to move the spindle (PITA). Either way, thanks for the vote of confidence, it helps to know I'm on the right track.
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10sec.et is a hack - don't listen to anything he tries to tell you😄. Seriously though - he is a bad man with serious skills and has helped me work through some weird problems over the years. Clay
10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, just kidding stick out tongue

Last edited by 10sec.et on Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice work on the power supply thumbsup Cool

Paul P

81240.86 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTF? This is an odd thread. P/S hack is a good one as long as you know what the current requirements are for the units that need the 12V. PC supplies are really high current so it should due in most 12V supply cases. Good field hack. I have done shit like it in the field back in the 90s when you had to get things up and the replacement was days away.

Paul

6.95@98.6 MPH 1/8mi
10.97@121 MPH 1/4mi
phydeaux

3114.12 points

1997 Oldsmobile Aurora

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the mill is still running production without a hitch. Got the new power supply and amplifier in yesterday, both were wrong. (but that NEVER happens!!!) Sure am glad the temporary power supply is working. We haven't had a minute of down time since. Guess I'll wait another week for the correct parts. No worries.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Everything Goes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: