Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

somebody talk me out of it...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: somebody talk me out of it... Reply with quote

since starting my supercharger build, my car has spent 98% of its time in the garage sitting for one reason or another. when i was running nitrous, it was fun. this isnt fun anymore. im seriously considering dumping the supercharger and going back to nitrous. maybe even a fogger setup.

af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith if I lived closer I would have to bitch slap you.( I meant buy you a cold one. Laughing )

You have to run it because of the new block and such.......
Don't feel bad since I also have put $$$$ in mine and here it sits..
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol Very Happy

the irritating part is that if I was running nitrous, I would be posting time slips right now. instead, im hung up on a POS datalogger. im making one last ditch effort with this LM2. im getting the inductive probe for rpm. if I still cant get that to work, its ebay time for all of it.

SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget you'd be still trying to get a datalogger set up if it was nitrous or supercharged.

Why can't you run without the datalogger? (at least for now until you figure it out). Run low boost, back the timing off, run it on the rich side, and slowly creep up on the tune.

Plus it would be a shame to see all your beautiful work pulled off because you're frustrated. We all know and have been there before. The reason we do this is because very few people can and it's the satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself. Keep up the good work.

I challenge you to push yourself.
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith even though I crushed my Impala and Caprice because I was too frustrated by staring at them every day knowing I couldn't work on them due to poor health. I have to agree with the others to carry on and get'r done.

You have hours of worksmanship that will not be rewarded by the heathens on e-Bay. Just take a break, and think about your next build, putting this one out of your head by thinking of how much time and cash will be involved in any another project, before you can race it. Maybe you will see then how close you are to getting out and enjoying your Olds which is truly unique.

Big Dave
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to admit I called Keith after I saw him post this. I completely understand where he's at and hope he gets the last few bugs worked out especially with the wideband. The problem is when he gets done it will be a ball at the track and not so much fun anywhere else - there is such a thing as too much power on the street. Since my turbo setup I've driven mine maybe 300 miles a year. I had exhaust gasket issues, made another set of manifolds and still can't really drive it in the summer. The inter cooler blocks too much airflow and if you get stuck in traffic you're screwed. When it cools off - stupid power. It recently lost a bearing on a lifter too. I'm pulling all of it off and putting the 383 back in naturally aspirated with the 200R4 and DRIVE IT! I'm thinking after we get done with the turbo setup in the Camaro I'm going to build a naturally aspirated 427 small block and be done with it. I do hope he finishes it too and offered my carburetor if he needs it to test with. But playing devils advocate putting a plate on it has a LOT of appeal. I wouldn't screw with a fogger either - jets are smaller and possibility of one getting stopped up is higher. I'd get a big shot plate, probably send it off to be flowed so you have a very close setup to begin with and let it eat. I'll have to admit I'm getting lazier in my old age when it comes to hot rods. Clay
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know. the nitrous was always easier to tune. most dont know about the weird instant lean condition i was fighting early on. im 99% sure ive got it under control but i absolutely NEED to log data to be sure. hopefully that will come around and i can see where im at. i really want to keep the SC setup but i have limits. i would rather cut my losses on the SC than destroy the entire engine. i got ups confirmation today that my RPM pickup will be here saturday.

SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much left do you have to do?

I challenge you to push yourself.
Paul P

81616.60 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get her going. I have been trying to get out of the hole for quite some time. It will be worth it.

1971 - Chevelle 408 SBC N/A
6.86@102.5 MPH 1/8mi
10.78@122 MPH 1/4mi
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoke, its been ready to go back to the track for a couple months. im hung up on being able to monitor three data pids Mad the most irritating part is that i bought this LM2 specifically for this purpose. i may have to just monitor boost and AFR and figure it out from there Mad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Everything Goes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: