Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Had to have ACL reconstruction
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Had to have ACL reconstruction Reply with quote

Since my enduro "incident" at the beginning of march I've been trying to get my knee worked out. Went to our physical therapist at work after it happened and they didn't feel anything obviously torn. They gave me some exercises and over the next month it had gotten almost back to normal. I had gotten back to riding and it felt fine. Went riding with some friends and after I guess 40 miles or so it started with a small click. Few miles later a more noticeable pop, few more miles a slightly painful pop. I was going to ride back to the parking lot and call it a day but before then it locked up and wouldn't straighten up. After some shaking it did finally pop back straight but man it hurt. I slowed down and just idled the last mile or so back. After seeing an orthopedist I had a torn ACL and meniscus. Had surgery on May 14th and I'll have to say I'm amazed at medical professionals ability. I had to watch the surgery on YouTube and it looks barbaric but there is not a lot of pain involved. Had surgery on Wed and started physical therapy on Fri. I have to be on crutches for 3 weeks with no weight bearing and a locked brace but that still amazes me. After that I'll get a walking brace. No riding for 6 months but that's a small price to walk and I've got some dyno work I want to do anyway. I haven't posted much lately but my buddy has made some decent progress on the bodywork on the camaro so I'll get some pics of that in a few weeks. Later guys. Clay
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear!!!

I get a full scope job on the 16th as the meniscus has been torn for some time(behind the plate for 25 years) and now looks like pages in a book and the arthritis that went with the deal.

The A/C season has hit and I can only hope the surgery works. My best year so far will be this one as I am self employed and have many signed contracts on the table.
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish you both a speedy recovery!

My meniscus popped at 5:07 on 9MAY14 as I was standing up from sitting in front of the computer (it sounded like a rifle shot and knocked me back in the chair as it let go). Well truthfully it is the scar tissue that actually failed me as the original injury was forty years ago. MRI after three doctors visits over the past month has confirmed what I told them when I walked in the following Monday, but you have to follow "procedure". I see the PA on the 30th to schedule surgery.

As you get older the scar tissue you have collected over a life time doesn't age with you. Since I tore or shredded most of the tendons and ligaments in my legs back and left shoulder, my Ortho doctor has been putting his kids through college on just my surgeries (this will be my 20th time going under the knife for damage I did to my self when I was still thirty thinking I was still nineteen.

Big Dave
Paul P

81616.60 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get well soon!

1971 - Chevelle 408 SBC N/A
6.86@102.5 MPH 1/8mi
10.78@122 MPH 1/4mi
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Af2 - From what I've heard / seen you'll be back at it pretty quick. There was a lady in physical therapy yesterday 2 weeks after meniscus - she was pretty much done recovering - walking normally and just mainly stretching to regain mobility. My doctor gave just a meniscus repair as an option. He said it would only be 2 very small incisions for the scope / tools and recovery would be fast. However he said your acl being torn will let your knee open up again and retear the meniscus so really a pointless option in my opinion.
Dave - Sorry to hear about that. I wish you the best in recovery. Hopefully yours will be quick also. Sounds like you've been through the wringer on surgeries. Clay

af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, now the fun begins... Had to have a EKG because I am over 50. The PA had some questions so now I get to have a friggin stress test and I can't hardly walk let alone jog on the treadmill! So they are going to do it with injections WTF ? FN speed injections then a downer?

I just want my fn knee fixed!!!! Evil or Very Mad
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
Yep, now the fun begins... Had to have a EKG because I am over 50. The PA had some questions so now I get to have a friggin stress test and I can't hardly walk let alone jog on the treadmill! So they are going to do it with injections WTF ? FN speed injections then a downer?

I just want my fn knee fixed!!!! Evil or Very Mad

Trust me getting the chemicals is much faster and no stress on your already damaged leg. They want the tread mill to check your pulmonary system as well as cardio, but with the drugs it is faster and much less painful. To compensate for the treadmill not being able to measure your lungs they make you suck on a plastic tube to get a piston to stay above a desired mark. If you can not do that then they send you to therapy until you can because the anesthesiologist doesn't want to risk having you as a patient.

Big Dave
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clay. Sorry to hear about your knee. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

I need to get my knee done as well.

I challenge you to push yourself.
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to see Doc today expecting surgery, which will be scheduled for two weeks or so from now, but the MRI showed that I had a broken the patella as well as tearing the meniscus on the both inside and the outside. But to really ice the cake he told me that what I took for a gunshot sound made by the pattela letting go wasn't the meniscus letting go like I thought but my quad tendon severing again that I just got fixed two years ago.

In for a total knee reconstruction and trimming the bone of the knee cap to get rid of that chunk I broke off six weeks ago that isn't healing properly.

Big Dave
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had my 3 week checkup Tuesday. Everything looked great so I got a walking brace. Had to use one crutch for about 15 - 20 minutes before my brain would start to trust my knee and figure out how to walk again. Starting to do some different things in therapy now. Today I walked around 3/4 of a mile. Calf muscle is pretty sore but it feels good.
Dave - Man it sounds like you are in for it but I hope that they have a plan together for you and you have a great outcome.
Af2 - Hopefully all your tests come out good and they'll get the show on the road and get you fixed up. Clay

af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clay wrote:

Af2 - Hopefully all your tests come out good and they'll get the show on the road and get you fixed up. Clay

Blood pressure seems to be in check now. It was 193/118 on the test. It really pisses me off that my regular physician always bitches me out on the smoking issue and will not fix the pressure issue. The Cardiologist put me on a different pill that does not effect the performance in the shaggin room and good so far. Wink

Bringing the electronic cuff to my next appointment Tues for the doc to look at and he should give me the OK for surgery. It has been in the 107/60 to 117/73. I can't wait at this point.

Thanks Clay for the support.
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
clay wrote:

Blood pressure seems to be in check now. It was 193/118 on the test. It really pisses me off that my regular physician always bitches me out on the smoking issue and will not fix the pressure issue. The Cardiologist put me on a different pill that does not effect the performance in the shaggin room and good so far. Wink

Bringing the electronic cuff to my next appointment Tues for the doc to look at and he should give me the OK for surgery. It has been in the 107/60 to 117/73. I can't wait at this point.

Thanks Clay for the support.

Best of luck. I think my doctor would have called an ambulance on me if I had a blood pressure reading like that.

They did call an ambulance for me once because the tech giving me an EKG put the sensor in the wrong spot: either that or it was picking up an off shore illegal radio broadcast, because they thought I was having a heart attack. I refused the ambulance ride but to keep my doctor happy I went to the ER were they said I was fine. But because the blood bank computer was tied into the hospital's admitting records I couldn't give blood for a whole year as a heart attack "victim".

Big Dave
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it sounds like your blood pressure is in check without those annoying "side effects"😉. One thing I recommend both of you get is this ice machine by Donjoy. My wife uses these at work and highly recommended it - actually she said you're getting one - and she is absolutely right. You put ice and water in the cooler and it pumps it through the pad strapped to your knee. I wore mine in the bed for the first three nights. My wife controlled it the first night then we plugged it into a remote switch that I could turn on from the bed. Then set an alarm on my phone for every hour. Miserable trying to sleep but I'm convinced it helped a lot with swelling. Much better than trying to use frozen peas, ice bags, etc. especially since a fill up lasts about 6 hours on average and you can move since it's strapped on. Used ones are on eBay for around $50 - $60 and the switch is around $10. Clay

af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will just use a Clapper to piss the wife off.. Laughing

My insurance covers that machine which is nice. It will get used I don't have time for down time.
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering if you guys have had surgery yet and how y'all are doing? Hopefully both of you are doing pretty good by now. Clay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Everything Goes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: