Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Cavalier - Bad gas mileage
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Other - Engine Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Cavalier - Bad gas mileage Reply with quote

My Cavalier, 2.2 OHV, is getting bad gas mileage. It's only averaging about 21 MPG and I would think it should at least average 25 or more.

The one obvious thing I see is the engine temperature seems to run cold, thinking of possible stuck open thermostat. I plan on putting in a new thermostat in tonight to see if that helps.

I don't have a wideband O2 on it but I probably will install one and start data logging to see where it's running.

Any other suggestions.

I challenge you to push yourself.
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the fuel oxygenated like ours in the winter?

My service van gets 11 in the summer with the A/C on and 10 in the winter...
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine temp is a contributor to lower milage. Saturns are bad about leaking around the thermostat. There is a rubber seal that captures the thermostat that splits with age and let's coolant bypass. I would expect better than 25 though. 3 of us have saturns (sohc's) that get around 40 without anything special done to them. The dohc's get high 30's I think mainly due to lower gearing. There is a 500 rpm difference between them. When you got it did you do the quick tune up stuff - o2, plugs, etc.? Could be a slow o2 also. As af2 mentioned winter fuel does cause milage to drop about 5% or so for us. Clay
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does it have a MAF? those get dirty. although ive noticed, the winter blend fuel sucks.

SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10sec.et - No MAF on this, speed density set up.

Clay - 40 mpg...wow. what does it do around town? That 21 number is for around town driving. Wife drives it mainly and her commute is about a 15-20 miles each way with 5 miles of highway.

I didn't replace the O2 but did plugs and wires. I'll replace the O2.

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In strictly stop and go I don't know. None of us really have what would be considered city driving. I drive about 35 miles one way to work and I'm about half interstate and half highway / secondary roads with some stop and go. In the summer with the a/c on it drops to around 37. 3 of us are getting almost identical milage with saturns. You have to baby it and short shift to get that. My best guess in strictly city driving would be low 30's. Clay
Paul P

81616.60 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a 10% loss on the winter mix of gasoline. That would put you at about 23. Synthetic everything might get something too. Dirty injectors, Tune up All that kind of stuff which you probably have addressed.

Thanks for coming by a couple weeks back.

1971 - Chevelle 408 SBC N/A
6.86@102.5 MPH 1/8mi
10.78@122 MPH 1/4mi
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul P wrote:

Anytime, sorry for your loss.

Last night I changed the front O2 sensor and changed the thermostat. Sure enough (as Clay said) the gasket had a slice in it. Hoping that will fix it running cold.

One thing I haven't changed is the fuel filter. So bought a new one, went to put it in, and couldn't get it off (without wrecking the line). It was a bit late to mess with it so I stopped. After looking at it I need to change all the lines. I'm thinking of using the nickel copper lines since it's much easier bend than steel lines. Anybody use this stuff before? I haven't measured the diameters but guessing the supply 3/8, return 5/16, and vent is 1/4. Does that sound right?

squeeezer

191524.76 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel pressure reg???

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMOKEmUP wrote:
Paul P wrote:

Anytime, sorry for your loss.

Last night I changed the front O2 sensor and changed the thermostat. Sure enough (as Clay said) the gasket had a slice in it. Hoping that will fix it running cold.

One thing I haven't changed is the fuel filter. So bought a new one, went to put it in, and couldn't get it off (without wrecking the line). It was a bit late to mess with it so I stopped. After looking at it I need to change all the lines. I'm thinking of using the nickel copper lines since it's much easier bend than steel lines. Anybody use this stuff before? I haven't measured the diameters but guessing the supply 3/8, return 5/16, and vent is 1/4. Does that sound right?

I'm guessing you're close to right, but I will wager they are some metric equivalent.

Just amazed that you are worrying about fuel economy in the first place.

I have always driven a truck with the biggest engine I could stuff in it once cars shrank in dimensions to the point where I can not even squeeze into them anymore. Prior to that I drove a Camaro or a Nova with the biggest engine that I could stuff under hood as a daily driver. The only difference between my daily drivers and my race cars were the tunnel rams sticking through the hood and the rear gear back when I could fit in a car.

That is why my last car was a full size mid eighties B-body which is basically a reskined 70 Chevelle beneath the sheet metal (same size inside and out for the most part, making the mid eighties full size equivalent to an early seventies mid size). I haven'teven thought about trying on a modern front wheel drive Impala for size as I do not do front wheel drive and hate the idea of a V-6 (if I am limited to six cylinders I want them all in a straight line were there are no issues with trying to fit three cylinders into four cycles).

Big Dave
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just amazed that you are worrying about fuel economy in the first place.

If he's like me I want to spend as little as I can on things I have to have which leaves me more to spend on things I want to have. Hopefully it's not like a Saturn that has the fuel pressure regulator built into the fuel filter. Weird but not as bad as some Dodge's that have the fuel filter INSIDE the fuel tank. I wonder if your winter blend is different than our winter blend since you see much colder temps than us. Ours does change just wondering if yours might change more. Clay

SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave... just trying to save money.

I changed the transmission fluid and filter today. Still need to do fuel filter but I ordered the tubing and will redo the lines hopefully this upcoming weekend.

SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't have a chance to do the fuel lines. I did check gas mileage again, still at 23.9 mpg Sad .

Paul P

81616.60 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat is clear?

1971 - Chevelle 408 SBC N/A
6.86@102.5 MPH 1/8mi
10.78@122 MPH 1/4mi
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are those the honey comb?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Other - Engine Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: