Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Desirable Hemis ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Mopar - Big Block
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JavaJeep-INDONESIA

2665.12 points

1944 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Desirable Hemis ? Reply with quote

In the late 50's and early 60's the Indonesian government imported a lot of big american luxury cars for government use and occasionally the total basket cases are available for parts before they are scrapped

I guy I know in east Java picked up this 1956 354 cubic inch Wedge Big Block FirePower V8 for $500

I think an old engine like this would be cool in my Jeep J20 pick up

Are these old hemis hard to find in the USA now and can you still get parts for them ?

1944/46 MB/CJ2a FrankenJeep F-134 waterproofed HS6 SU carb MSD5 ignition, T90 + Warn overdrive, D18, D25 Lock Right , D44 Detroit Locker , 32"x15" Simex Extreme Trekkers , Warn 8274, full jungle fit out

Now getting a 350 Chev and a unique suspension set up using Boeing 727 undercarriage components
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not exactly sure, but if Barrett Jackson in any indication, they are worth a decent amount of money. Granted these are in show cars that came with hemi's originally, but the market and desire seems to be there. I don't know about parts as I mainly mess with Fords and Chevy's, but I would bet there is a source for parts somewhere. Cool stuff you have access to though. Clay
JavaJeep-INDONESIA

2665.12 points

1944 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking about the engines rather than complete cars

If a complete car is reasonable and running they want too much money for them in my opinion

1944/46 MB/CJ2a FrankenJeep F-134 waterproofed HS6 SU carb MSD5 ignition, T90 + Warn overdrive, D18, D25 Lock Right , D44 Detroit Locker , 32"x15" Simex Extreme Trekkers , Warn 8274, full jungle fit out

Now getting a 350 Chev and a unique suspension set up using Boeing 727 undercarriage components

Last edited by JavaJeep-INDONESIA on Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
jeep_406

53123.48 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One concern I would have is the reason they called them Elephant engines was because of their weight. I had one in a 53 Ford sedan and it didn't like going around corners at all. it sure filled up the engine compartment Shocked
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Barret Jackson thing seems to have sparked a lot of interest in hemis in general be it complete cars or just engines. It just seems like you hear everyone talking about hemis. Regardless, I think they are pretty cool because they are different and agree it would be neat in an old Jeep. The downside is like Jeep_406 said, every picture I have seen they are large by huge. Clay
JavaJeep-INDONESIA

2665.12 points

1944 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine bay of a J20 would handle a hemi no problem and now Jeep is part of the Chrysler family its also a good fit

While I found a lot of the chrysler V8s dont look as good on paper (ducks for cover) than Chev and Ford they seem to have a very wide usable torque band

I guess its a childhood dream to own a Big Block something , I remember when I was growing up in Sydney there were heaps of small block chevs , fords and holdens (GM also) but no one had a big block on the street , the only place I saw them in Australia was at the drag races and boat races

I think today we are living in the 2nd golden age of muscle motoring and probably like people back in the 60's and early 70's we dont realise it yet. Look at the specs and performance of todays cars and if you still yearn for the 'good old days' you can buy 500 and 600+ cube crate motors ... I think we have the best of both Worlds now Smile

JavaJeep-INDONESIA

2665.12 points

1944 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember in junior high school winning a bet with the 'car guru' of the school (his brother owned a tow truck service so we had fun driving old '50s buick straight 8s , VW split window kombis and other junk exotica around the yard before they went to the crusher, he ended up working as a product manager for champion spark plugs last I heard 10 yrs ago)

The bet was that Ford had also built a hemi V8 for which I was howled down by my fellow 12 and 13 yr olds , they didnt know I had a magazine article at home about a 429 Boss Mustang , no one had heard of it.

Big Dave

119910.22 points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JavaJeep-INDONESIA wrote:
The engine bay of a J20 would handle a hemi no problem and now Jeep is part of the Chrysler family its also a good fit

The "Elephant" you pictured is the 426 "Street Hemi" which was a reworked early style hemi head stuck onto a RB 426 max wedge engine; that and the dual Carter AVS four barrel carbs are stuck on the infamous factory supplied BBC "Rat Roaster" cross ram manifold.

The earlier hemis were based upon the 1950 Desoto "Fire Power" and Dodge "Red Ram" motors (Same style heads as they stuck on the RB a decade or so later). The blocks were not that large in displacement by today’s standards, and even the biggest would barely strain the dimensions of the current crop of small blocks. They were all high compression (even by today’s standards) and were only restricted by the exhaust system as to breathing potential.

Parts are getting scarce here stateside, as many early Hemi's are either sitting in static museum displays or they went to nitro heaven years ago. They are very desirable for rat rod projects (So much so that there is a company that makes a fake Hemi valve cover and head casting that fits over top of a SBC to make it look like an early hemi, for a $4,000 fee) and I saw write up of the product in Rod & Custom magazine a few years ago.

Big Dave
JavaJeep-INDONESIA

2665.12 points

1944 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
that and the dual Carter AVS four barrel carbs are stuck on the infamous factory supplied BBC "Rat Roaster" cross ram manifold.

Why were those manifolds infamous ?

The engine I saw last year was in fact a 1956 354 cubic inch Wedge Big Block FirePower V8 (Engine No: NE561843) in poor shape , thats why I was asking about parts Stateside

In the attached photo you can see the Hemi against the back wall ( I have no idea what the engine is with a manual trans attached in the foreground of the photo )

Not too many V8s in Asia/Indonesia , I've had V8s most of my life so starting to miss driving a V8 (putting a 350 in my 2nd Willys at the moment)

'Nitro Heaven' - I like it haha

Big Dave

119910.22 points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were infamous to we proud few who were still choosing to champion BBC's in the light of overwhelming evidence that a rat roaster equipped Hemi would eat the shorts off of an L-88 427 in a Camaro.

But we few proud fools never let mere physical evidence sway our opinion as to the ultimate supremacy of the BBC (at 500 cid and 15.4:1 compression) triumphing over a similar 500 cubic inch Hemi (as proven this afternoon with Greg Anderson walking all over all comers setting new Pro Stock ET and MPH records in the NHRA.

Big Dave
tyrfryer

521.42 points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine in the foreground with tranny attached looks like possibly an old BOP engine - maybe a buick nailhead?
Big Dave

119910.22 points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an old 318 Polysphere Chrysler "A" engine, not a "Nail head Buick".

http://www.sweptline.com/tech/polyv8_tq.jpg

The scalloped valve covers were unique to these power plants (and a pain to keep from leaking oil). This engine and the Slant Six were the two best known engines ‘Mother Mopar’ had going for it until the raised block 383 440 and 426 Hemi ambled along.

Big Dave
tyrfryer

521.42 points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Embarassed
MrLutz

131.50 points

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a Google search and type in 'hemi engine parts' and it'll show up many sites that deal with them. Btw, the later Hemi (mid 60's to early 70's) the 426 walked over everyone. Research the days of them in Pro Stock and NASCAR and what both did to try and slow them down. Heck, NASCAR even banned them after a short time.
AtomicWedgie

132.22 points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st: A Hemi and a Wedge are two different types of Engines. They get their names from the design of the combustion chamber in the heads.

2nd: You will find parts for the early style Hemi @ hothemiheads.com

3rd: The originals are getting harder to find. Most of those hotrods at Barrett Jacksons have a new crate motor from Hot Heads Research and Racing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Mopar - Big Block All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: