Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

New project!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: New project! Reply with quote

My buddy picked up a new project for us that should be fun. It's a 67 camaro. It's a ladder bar car that's a little rough right now but shouldn't be too hard to revive and the price was right - $1200. Basic rundown - it has a roll bar of course that we are going to finish the front into a full cage, Dana 60 rear ( don't know gear yet), spool, weld wheels, 33 x 10.5 w's, it had a fuel pump, filter, Mallory coil and ignition box that may or may not work. We're thinking it should weigh around 2800 or so with a small block which is 1000 less than my car now. We plan to start with a 383 I have then put my turbo engine in it. Following the 100 lbs / 0.1 it has potential to run low 5's in the 1/8th. Here is a quick pic. He has the floor and trunk pans out now. We'll pull the front clip then I'll go through the front suspension and put on disc brakes. I'll update when we really get digging. Clay

SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice score. Looks like a fun project.

I challenge you to push yourself.
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct on the price. The Dana 60 rear is worth what you paid for the whole car.

Big Dave
Knarley Darley

540238.26 points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you are following the prices of first gen camaros, but that was a steal. I would have paid twice that in a heart beat. Nice score, and it should be a fun project.
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knarley is it worth more to restore it? Or build a race car?

I challenge you to push yourself.
89Gmcsierra

2274.42 points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always loved 1st gen camaros. buddy has Dz302 i've wanted for years. great buy wish i found that instead of the capri.
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Knarley is it worth more to restore it? Or build a race car?

Problem is trying to get a title. He bought it on a bill of sale as did the owner he got it from. The owner that had the title is dead as far as we know so although it might be possible to get one it's a race car for now. It's also too far cut up to really restore. I'll get some more pictures once we get it farther apart and cleaned up some. Clay

Knarley Darley

540238.26 points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would leave it a race car, but make it street legal also. It should be pretty easy to generate a title for it. Usually the police department will verify the vin, or assign one if it is missing, and run a 50 states check, and if it does not show up stolen they will issue a title in your name. I just did it in Idaho on a 69 Corvette, and it was pretty easy in Ca. also. As long as it is not reported stolen, and that cars vin is not in any data base, you should be good to go.
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The time to check if the car was ever reported stolen is now; while you have a little more than a grand at risk. If it was reported stolen it will be confiscated. Since you have a bill of sale you will not be arrested as car thieves, but the cops will ask the guy you bought it from where he got it and I hope he has a bill of sale as well.

By the way a restored first generation Camaro can sell for more than the value of your house depending upon options and quality of the restore.

Big Dave
squeeezer

191524.76 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W/o a title it ain't worth anything to most people........so yeah turn it into a non insured race car

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got some updated pics. Got the front clip off and everything looks pretty good there. All the tie rod ends and steering box feels tight so we'll reuse them. However it appears it has the original ball joints (still riveted in) so that's a definate replace.

Now comes the interesting stuff. We knew there was the potential for some ugly and here it is. Check out this panhard bar. Very short and absolutely not close to flat.

Kind of a strange coil spring / shock setup but this thing was built in the 90's I believe. Pretty much coil over shocks should solve all this.

The crossmember for the ladder bar attachment has some bow in it. Could be installed that way or bent during use. They did have gussets but should have been braced from where it drops down for driveshaft clearance back to the frame with tubing.

Also in the above pic we knew they didn't attach the rear of the car to the frame but now we realize nothing past these two tubes from the frame to the rocker attach the body to the frame but the wheel tubs and they were pretty ugly. We'll attach the frame to the bumper attachments at the rear and put in new tubs.

To attach the tube frame to the factory subframe they used a 1/8" plate on one side and a piece of angle on the other side. At this point we're gonna cut it loose and do a much better job of attaching after we verify everything is parallel and square.

We knew the rollbar wasn't pretty but after getting the sheet metal out of the way it wasn't really attached to much. Main hoop and door bar directly on the rocker sheet metal and kinda sorta gobbed in. Check out this junction. I'm thinking the small tube has gotta be schedule 160 pipe - easily 1/4" wall.

This one is classic. Evidently this car had leaf springs originally then they took them off when they went to a wider tire. They welded the factory leaf spring bucket to the tube frame. Notice the head bolt filling the gap - don't really know what to say about that.

That's all I've got for now. It's gonna be a lot of work but we're in no hurry and we haven't done anything like this for several years. Should be fun. Clay

af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could tell by the grinding it was not going to be good,, You are still way ahead on the deal Pink or not....
Paul P

81616.60 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that is a real scary example of what tech will let through just because they can't check every detail. I would toss that entire frame made of way too heavy materials and keep the 60. That panhard bar bracket is bolted to the diff? Definitely put something more up to date in the car for the back half even if it is a copy of some of the kits available for the that car. No where near enough heat on the blob junction. Like Adam said you are still ahead with the car as it is.

1971 - Chevelle 408 SBC N/A
6.86@102.5 MPH 1/8mi
10.78@122 MPH 1/4mi
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree still well worth the money and it won't take a lot of money to fix everything - just mainly labor. The frame rails actually look pretty good - they're 2 x 4 and 1/8" wall and appear to be straight but we'll see when we take them out. He's going to try to blast the framework this weekend before we start rebuilding it. I'll keep the pics coming. Clay
William Jones

28541.86 points

1971 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice score I have seen junk like that at the track before its funny to see stuff some people come up with.

Bam

92 LX 454ci Clevor 9.24@142.53 N/A
71 Mach1 454ci Clevor 10.16@134 N/A 3850lbs race weight "Lost in fire"
03 Cobra Bone stock 12.42
68 Falcon 363ci 10.55@126 N/A
95 GT 363ci 11.08@118 N/A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Drag Racing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: