Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

94 F150 306 (how much further can I go?)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Ford - Small Block
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bikertrash

192.46 points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: 94 F150 306 (how much further can I go?) Reply with quote

Hey guys, a couple of months ago I built a 306 for my 94 F150. Here's the specs so far.
Stock rotating assembly with flat top hyperutectic pistons chromoly rings
Stock Roller cam with 1.72 Roller Rockers
Duration EX 197 IN 182
Lift EX .480 IN .452
LSA 115
Cam advanced 2 with true roller timing set
9.4:1 Comp Ratio (stock E7 heads)
Baseline timing at 15
StreetFire Coil
MSD cap and rotor
Ford Racing 9mm wires
Motorcraft copper plugs
Stock intake, throttle body
19lb/hr Explorer 4 hole injectors
Flowtech Longtube headers 1.5"/2.5"
2.5" pipe
X pipe
Maggie high flow cats
DIDO Spintech Sportsman XL Muffler
All emissions retained.

My main question is how much more can I do without major tuning or driveabilty issues. It is MAF.

I've considered a set of GT40 heads but have seen mixed opinions about their use compared to E7's being the cost to benefit ratio. Also considered is a BBK twin 56 mm throttle body. Improved MAF sensor (if available) and a K&N FIPK.

Compared to stock, I can tell a big difference in torque and HP and would guess I am at least making stock BHP at the wheels maybe more.

Thanks BT
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you've covered all the standard stuff. I believe the E303 cam was offered as a factory cam in some Mustang Cobra 302's. However for some reason I have seen people having idle problems with them. I'm not sure how your computer setup compares to the Mustang. I'm just starting to learn some programming myself so my knowledge is somewhat limited. On the Mustangs they changed in 94. Before that from what I understand they could handle more changes as far as camshaft, etc. - after that not so much. A higher flow MAF should help but you might have to change the throttle body for maximum gains. However I wouldn't think it is going to be a drastic change. Heads should always help but there you would probably need the MAF and throttle body to really get the maximum gains from them. You could probably benefit as much from some custom tuning at this point. A more agressive timing curve and looking at what fuel it doing could gain some. On my wife's Mustang it has a similar combo that you have right now and I had to do some fuel tuning to get things close to right. I haven't played with timing yet as I'm still learning the software. Sorry if I rambled and didn't really tell you anything but sometimes that's how I think. Welcome to Smokemup by the way! Clay
bikertrash

192.46 points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clay, Thanks for the reply. I don't know a thing about tuning and was trying to avoid it if at all possible. However, if it will optimize my set up then I'm all for it. Plus it will net me more knowledge, right? Lol. Since your reply I did some research into tuning and came across a company called twEECer (tweaker) There is one Ecu that they support for a 94 F150 and I'll have to check if mine is it. Also, concerning a cam, before the build I researched the Ford Racing letter cams and found that they all required a stall converter for a 4R70W auto. Don't really feel a stall would be any good for the occasional towing I do. Thanks again.
BT
af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikertrash wrote:
before the build I researched the Ford Racing letter cams and found that they all required a stall converter for a 4R70W auto. Don't really feel a stall would be any good for the occasional towing I do. Thanks again.
BT

The stall will give you the best of both worlds.....
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A slight bit of stall increase would probably help you out some. The 4R70W has a lock up converter. Once you get going it locks up and the stall increase is out of the picture. I did wind up with a slightly higher stall in my S-10 when I rebuilt everything and I like it and I occasionally tow way more than I should with it and have never had a problem and don't have any additional coolers. I have a Quarterhorse in my wife's Mustang and it does have some pretty cool features. With it you could also tune the transmission as far as shift points, line pressure, etc. I'm using Binary Editor software and one thing to keep in mind if you want to use it is there are waaayyy more parameters then you can imagine. It's overwhelming in the beginning but you can get the hang of it. Things are labeled in weird ways. For example there isn't a parameter called pump shot. You manipulate a parameter called manifold volume to change it. Timing control uses around 4 tables to come up with a value. It will allow you to run about any MAF you have a table for. You can change injectors, about anything you want to do. It would probalby be cheaper and definately easier to pay for a custom tune in your case. It just depends on your desire to learn. Clay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Ford - Small Block All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: