Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Fluke Tone Generator and Probe.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Fluke Tone Generator and Probe. Reply with quote

I just purchased a wire tracer / short detector by Fluke and I must say this thing is mint. I was working on the cavalier trying to fix the reverse lights. I had no power at the bulb so I started following the wire back looking for worn areas. After an hour or so and not finding anything I gave up and decided to buy the Fluke Toner and Probe for $70 at Home Depot (my local store had it and it was cheaper than online).

I think it took me more time to put the batteries in the detector than it did to find the problem!

Connected the wires from the tone generator to neutral safety switch connector and to the battery ground. Took the pen started tracing back from the connector, no tone. Follow the wire a little more and then tone. I opened up the wire loom and found several wires split.

Tone generator:

Detector Probe: (sorry for the blurry picture)

Broken wires found.

I challenge you to push yourself.
Paul P

81240.86 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Just like a phone wire inductive to tone generator. Those wires look cut. Similar to what I had at the hatch harness flex point in my focus. Worth every penny wasn't it.
6.95@98.6 MPH 1/8mi
10.97@121 MPH 1/4mi
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, worth every penny. I'm sure this thing will come in handy when tracing the wire harness out on the LS1 swap into the 79.

I know what you mean about the wires looking like they were cut. From the outside the loom looked perfect and when I opened it up was like wow.

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a similar problem on wife's Charger. Trunk wouldn't open with remote or with button inside and no light inside trunk. Wires in harness broken in the rubber boot from car body to trunk lid and looked similar to yours. Wires must be under tension and getting flexed to pull the insulation apart. I didn't know about a tone generator - luckily a google search found where my problem most likely was. Very cool device - I'm going to keep it in mind and hope I never need it. Clay
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clay....I highly recommend adding one to the tool box.
Here's a link to home depot where I bought mine. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fluke-Networks-Pro-3000-Tone-and-Probe-Kit-26000-900/202290922

Paul P

81240.86 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a complete setup like this but I lent it out and don't remember who. Sadly it is gone.
6.95@98.6 MPH 1/8mi
10.97@121 MPH 1/4mi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: