Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

UK-engine cleaning and washing post machine shop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Other - Engine Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fracture_420

212.62 points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: UK-engine cleaning and washing post machine shop Reply with quote

Alrite, im from the Scotland and currently own a beautiful Nissan 200sx with a turbo and soon to be fully forged CA18DET engine that im currently rebuilding.

Right, so after my ca18det going boom and one of the rod bearings spinning i decided to rebuild her, fully forged, as a project. I had some trouble with the machine shop i used but basically i had bought a fully machined and ready ca18det block from them, as they had one from someone elses abondened project. After much time waiting on them cutting oil notches in my pistons, i finally went to check my bearing clearances to find i had the wrong crank caps with the block. When i went back to them with this they said they could not find the caps but would bring my original block up to spec with the one i had been sold.

After receiving this back ive went to rebuild and to be honest the inside of the block such as all the oil gallerys are still dirty with oil and gunk and between the crank saddles and the bores its still quite dirty. They have obviously just done the bores and decked it without giving her a proper clean as they were losing out having to do another block, but ive been back and forth to the shop so many times i cant be bothered dealing with them anymore. What i am worried about is the fact that a bearing has spun in this block before and all this will be trapped in the oil lines and gallerys and all this dirt will very much shorten the life of my nice new engine.

I am worried about cleaning her as any water on the machined surfaces and it will rust instantly, i have though about using gunk and engine brushes to clean out the gallerys and outside/inside of engine, but scared of geeting water on bores when rinsing.

So im really wondering if anyone out there has cleaned an engine post machining and can give some pointers on how to tackle this job as its put me so far behind with this rebuild already. What products? how to protect the bores?

any info much appreciated, cheers.
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think pretty much everybody on here washes all parts after getting them back from the machine shop. Here's what I do. I like using hot water to do all my washing - it just dries faster. I spray it down with Purple Power or some sort of other strong degreaser / detergent. I scrib everything with a brush and then use a very fine Scotchbrite pad on the bores. I scrub then vertically and when you're done you can't see any scratches so you're not removing metal or anything. Use a garden hose and spray everything down / rinse everything very well spraying into any and every nook, cranny, and passage you can get to. I do mine on the engine stand so I roll it around a time or two to dump the water out of any passages then get the air hose and start blowing it off. Start with the bores first and don't be alarmed when they start to rust. After getting everything dry - even with hot water it will still take 10 - 15 minutes of blowing in, around and through everything to get all the water out. Do a quick spray on everything with WD-40. Next get some paper towels, fold in a square, spray with something like WD-40 and start wiping the cylinders. First towel will be brown. Flip it and do the same thing. Then another and another. Keep wiping / scrubbing until the towels come out clean. It will happen, it just takes a lot of wiping. Then I put oil on a towel and wipe them down and I'm ready for pistons. I wipe any gasket surface down with brake cleaner before assembly. Welcome to Smokemup! Clay
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did anyone else read that with a Scottish accent ? Laughing

Clay pretty much covered it. my block had all kinds of crap in it when i got it back from my machinist. and it was ASSEMBLED. i used paint thinner/turpentine to clean mine and blew everything dry with compressed air. either way is fine.

welcome to SMOKEmUP Cheers

Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also would add to this that I clean out the oil galleries with stainless steel (brass bristle break off to easily) gun cleaning brushes using a riffle cleaning rod. I then break out the pressure washer to blast any residue loosened up out of the galleries with 3,600 psi water pressure and 409 degreaser mix. I use a Moroso motor cleaning brush set for the rest of the usual scrubbing as covered by every one else. I then wipe down the bores with automatic transmission fluid as it seems to prevent rusting better than any other light oil I have tried.

You can not have an engine that is too clean.

Big Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Other - Engine Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: