Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Solvent for parts washer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Solvent for parts washer Reply with quote

I recently got a parts washer and looking for suggestions on which solvent to use. The manual for the parts washer says to use water based only. Any suggestions?

******edit******
The one I'm leaning towards is Crown PSC 1000, however it's not water based.

From what I've read the water based ones don't work well unless it's heated.

I challenge you to push yourself.

Last edited by SMOKEmUP on Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Varsol.

the water based, green, save the planet, soon to create a utopia, earth muffins can go pound sand...... to paraphrase Wink

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something with a skull and crossbones on it Laughing . I vote for varsol also. However personally I wouldn't have a parts washer. Here is my experience with them. At work where Safety Kleen services them - they're pretty good. Many years ago I kinda sorta had a small engine repair shop - I was around 13 - 14 years old. Dad built a parts washer out of 2 55 gallon drums. It was pretty slick and well designed / constructed. However after washing stuff for a while the solvent got so nasty I didn't want to use it. In today's environment what do you do with spent solvent.? We do have one Safety Kleen washer that cleans the solvent itself. Evidently it has 2 tanks - 1 that is being used and another that I'm thinking it cleans by distillation. However it does it the solvent comes out really clean and you just open a plug on the bottom and the sludge runs out - no filters that I'm aware of. Clay
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i worked at a dealership years ago that had a water based enzymatic solvent. it was called "ozzy juice". it was a heated system. i hated it. it had the nastiest sour smell. that was actually in my top five reasons i only worked there two weeks.

Clay is right about the solvent getting dirty. if you have some heavy duty rubber gloves, it might not be so bad. i have, on two occasions ended up with bad infections in my hands from dirty solvent getting under the skin.

SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was planning on getting a good pair of rubber gloves.

I challenge you to push yourself.
Knarley Darley

540238.26 points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a solvent tank/parts washer that I quit using years ago, in fact if we lived closer I would give it to you. I have a 3800 psi pressure washer that is wayyyyyyyy faster, and effective that I use all the time. For small stuff I have 5 gallons of parts dip, but I hardly ever have to use that either. The worst thing about the solvent tank is that the smell gets in your hands, and it takes days for them to smell normal again, even with gloves.
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have been thinking about buying a cheap contractor grade dishwasher. if you clean the heavy crud off first, it will take care of everything else. of course, there are limits to what you could put in it.

af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10sec.et wrote:
i have been thinking about buying a cheap contractor grade dishwasher. if you clean the heavy crud off first, it will take care of everything else. of course, there are limits to what you could put in it.

This brings back the mid 90's..... I hated the amount of crap left in the block after machining and decided to put a dish washer pump in the bottom of a 55 gallon drum to give it a good washing. even installed the cal rod heating element. TSP and here we go!!
I left it on for almost 24 hours and pulled the block out and just about crapped... The bores had no hatch marks the block looked like shyt and the bottom of the home made parts washer had no dirt.....
I still wonder what the hell I was thinking! Embarassed
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trisodium phosphate is great for getting mold off your house but it won't dissolve oil based grime all that well. You need a petroleum based solvent or a strong detergent with water. Most detergents have a strong alkaline base (similar to the trisodium phosphate's alkaline base), but the result will be the same resulting in erosion of any bare metal.

I might have tried what you did only with some Cascade dishwashing machine detergent. In dishwashing machine detergent you will find sulfur trioxide, ethylene oxide, and sulfuric acid to act as an oxidizer to provide the energy to react with the grime. Sodium and potassium hydroxide are used in detergents to provide positively charged ions to promote the chemical reaction. Finally it is all based upon synthetic petrochemicals, or if particularly green oleochemicals, to provide the polar and non-polar bonding agents to allow oil and water to mix by using surfactants which lowers the surface tension of water allowing it to mix with everything including itself.

Big Dave
Knarley Darley

540238.26 points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once left a set of used pistons in a 5 gallon carb dip to clean them. A year later when I remembered where I had left them......... I kinda had the same experience as af2 Embarassed They were junk, and so was the parts dip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: