Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

545 BBF Pistons advice needed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
seventy468

2674.60 points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:48 am    Post subject: 545 BBF Pistons advice needed Reply with quote

Looking for a set of dome pistons (desire 16:1 CR) for a 545 ci BBF. Specs are as follows, 4.39" bore 4.5" stroke 6.7" rod and am using the D20E-AB Police Interceptor heads (85cc combustion chamber, have been worked by Woody's here in central Indiana if anyone is familiar with him).

With that being said, I am newer to Ford, and have since realized they made DOZENS of different blocks, heads, etc.... For quick reference I pulled some data from Diamond's website and found the best compression we can get without going completely custom is just a touch over 11.1:1 CR. I also noticed the Motorsports A&B heads are capable of just over 14.5:1... however obviously those heads are different. Can someone explain to me what is different about the two cylinder heads mentioned above? and possibly offer a suggestion as to which direction I should take?

Tomorrow I will be doing some more calling to piston manufacturers and a few machine shops as well.

We are in a slight crunch and if pistons need to be custom ordered, they have to be ordered tomorrow in time for us to be running before our first event.

I truly appreciate any and all help.

Thanks & God bless
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take a plaster of paris mold of your combustion chamber and order your pistons today. Custom piston's are not that expensive (order ten not eight), but they are custom so if you give them a casting of the chamber they can fill it with a dome that fits your head (they will still need the usual deck height, rod length stroke, cam specs, etc.).

Ford's better idea was to make new parts every six months. Chevy is famous for cheap parts (because there are so many of them due to everything interchanges) Ford is know for "what month was it built, do you know what color the car was, ... the name of the guy who built it?" from the parts counter man trying to find a part in the computer that might fit your combination.

Big Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Ford - Big Block All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: