Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

12v cummins afc adjustment
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Other - Engine Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
87IrocTim

16836.12 points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: 12v cummins afc adjustment Reply with quote

whats up guys, got some questions about adjusting the afc on my 95 cummins 12v, I hear all sorts of different crap on dodge forums and you never know what to believe, so figured I would ask all of the old dudes here that know what the hell they are doing.

im fixing to find out how to wake this truck up a little and make a little smoke without tearing the torque converter up in my dead stock auto trans. Im sure mine can handle a little more then most stock dodge auto's because I rarely pull a boat, rarely beat on it, and its a single cab dually 2wd, so its not pulling a lot of weight. Any idea's?

I don't want it smoking like a coal train, just have a little more power to merge on the highway, which I have to do 4 times on the way to work. any of you familiar with what im looking to do? and, how the hell do I do it? Laughing

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a clue and it might take me a couple of days to find out but I have a friend that is a Cummins mechanic. He works on the larger diesels in tractor trailers, motorhomes, firetrucks, etc. mostly but I'm thinking he either knows or can find out what you want to know. Clay
af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v cummins afc adjustment Reply with quote

87IrocTim wrote:
whats up guys, got some questions about adjusting the afc on my 95 cummins 12v, I hear all sorts of different crap on dodge forums and you never know what to believe, so figured I would ask all of the old dudes here that know what the hell they are doing.

im fixing to find out how to wake this truck up a little and make a little smoke without tearing the torque converter up in my dead stock auto trans. Im sure mine can handle a little more then most stock dodge auto's because I rarely pull a boat, rarely beat on it, and its a single cab dually 2wd, so its not pulling a lot of weight. Any idea's?

I don't want it smoking like a coal train, just have a little more power to merge on the highway, which I have to do 4 times on the way to work. any of you familiar with what im looking to do? and, how the hell do I do it? Laughing

You need to get a torque plate designed for what you want on the Cummins..... If someone says you can move the stock window back you need to run far away from them... Look up torque plate and you will find many.

I bought a 300 HP plate and had to move it so it didn't smoke too much but it still has way more HP than the factory had..
af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I forgot to say that it will blow thru the lock up if you are not carefull.

Also if someone next to me pisses me off I can still smoke the hell out of them when driving off the stop light before the spool. Laughing
87IrocTim

16836.12 points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright thank you clay, let me know what you find out.

ive kind of been under the impression from many that an aftermarket torque converter is essential. I can certainly see it being able to rip through the converter in overdrive, but if I were to alter the fuel plate or buy an aftermarket, I would know not to hammer down in overdrive lockup, I only need the added power in first gear for pulling a 20 foot boat out of the water, and 3rd gear which gets me on the highway, so im thinking that a bit more power would be fine, as long as im not pushing too hard in over drive or regular driving.

its my first cummins, hell first dodge, so im kindof learning as I go along. I do have the future plans of putting a 5 or 6 speed in it in a year or so, so I don't need this trans to last 50,000 miles, just need it to not be a slug until then. thanks for the help so far

87IrocTim

16836.12 points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea af2 I see a lot of people saying, just grind it off and slide it all the way, but manufacturers of aftermarket plates put that at way too much for a stock trans. forums can give some interesting info, especially when you don't know if the dude giving you advice actually owns a cummins, and isn't posting google images of his truck in his moms basement with a bag of pork skins and cheese poofs.
af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

87IrocTim wrote:
especially when you don't know if the dude giving you advice actually owns a cummins, and isn't posting google images of his truck in his moms basement with a bag of pork skins and cheese poofs.

And smoke coming out his pipe!!!
87IrocTim

16836.12 points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found myself smoking out a Cadillac xlr convertible, that just so happened to have Obama stickers all over the rear bumper. totally on accident though... Rolling Eyes
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got in touch with my buddy today, should know something by the weekend. Clay
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are three approaches to increase power. First is the aftermarket afc blockoff plate to increase fuel. Second he said they have a tool that allows them to advance injector timing at the pump drive gear. However he didn't recommend doing either with a stock automatic. He said a manual would be o.k. with a upgraded clutch but it sounded like the auto wouldn't take much extra. He said there is a restrictor cone in the inlet of the turbocharger that you can remove. Evidently it has a big snap ring holding it in. He said turbo would be noisier but it might help some. That's what I found out - probably not exaclty what you wanted to hear though. Clay
87IrocTim

16836.12 points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks. I removed the snap ring, have the fuel plate slid all the way but didn't want to modify any more because if I step on it hard when its locked into overdrive you can just barely notice it trying to push past the torque converter by about 100 rpm or so, so im just about maxed as to what im going to put the trans through. for now that is. im busy searching for a 5 or 6 speed I can drop right in, so I will definitely feel more comfortable with further changes. I did look into injection timing and that seems to offer some good gains. thanks for the help
Paul P

81240.86 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still haven't fixed your signature Rolling Eyes

6.95@98.6 MPH 1/8mi
10.97@121 MPH 1/4mi
af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul P wrote:

Still haven't fixed your signature Rolling Eyes

He is trying to hop up the diesel and has no time!!!! Laughing
af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

87IrocTim wrote:
ok thanks. I removed the snap ring, have the fuel plate slid all the way but didn't want to modify any more because if I step on it hard when its locked into overdrive you can just barely notice it trying to push past the torque converter by about 100 rpm or so, so im just about maxed as to what im going to put the trans through.

If you actually get a real torque plate for the pump you will have to DETUNE it so it does not blow the converter out.....
Moving the original plate is like jetting the stock carb bigger and no gain..

Trust me, I can obliterate my converter at will when locked... Even detuned.....
87IrocTim

16836.12 points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha it only took a couple seconds and still took me forever to fix the signature. which plate do you recommend? ill order right now
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Other - Engine Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: