Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

MSA rod bolt torque

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigtizzles

2940.76 points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: MSA rod bolt torque Reply with quote

I bought a set of 3/8 8740 chrome moly 200,000 psi rod bolts made by MSA. Has anyone had any experience with these? I emailed asking for the torque specs and lube requirement and they said 40-45 ft lbs using a light coat of engine oil? Does this sound right?? I don't know if I trust them they make aerospace bolts. I have heard nothing but good things about the bolts and I know alot of people use them. I should have bought ARP I guess, but I didn't. So any help would be appreciated.
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with what the manufacture says. That way if anything goes wrong it is on him.

ARP and the rest of the world goes by rod bolt stretch so you need a fixture to hold your dial indicator. I also like the relatively new Ultra-Torque assembly lube they developed to replace engine oil that gives a good torque reading without having to first burnish the threads by torquing it down in a rod vice three to four times before you actually install the rods in the motor.

Big Dave
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to know the stretch.

The last 8740 bolt from ARP took damn near 70LBS to get there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: