Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

air fuel ratio gauge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Other - Engine Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bowtie44s

772.34 points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:01 am    Post subject: air fuel ratio gauge Reply with quote

Sorry if this is the wrong section, I picked this one since it looks like it has the most views. You guys have been a big help in my engine builds.

I'm thinking of buying an afr gauge to help me with tuning (carbs.) I've read that you want a wide band but I don't know the difference other than cost. I also read that you want a uego which bumps the cost up to over $300.

I know this isn't a wide band but would this for $30 do any good? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sun-cp8200 or would this one for $90 be better? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/inn-3794 or am I just wasting my time and money unless I pay the $3-400 for the uego, whatever that means.

Thanks for the help guys.
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've heard it described as hego before and I believe it stands for Heated Exhaust Gas Oxygen. Both of what you have links to are just the gauges - no sensors for either one. A narrow band isn't really going to tell you much more that you can generally feel seat of the pants. It does give you a general idea but nothing to really help you fine tune. The only one I can tell you specifically about is the Innovate LM-1. It's an older unit that I don't even know if they sell anymore but I like it. In addition to being a wide band it also has 3 more 0-5v inputs you can configure anyway you like. I've logged boost, air temps before and after an intercooler, throttle postion, and fuel pressure. You could even do something like rig up a linkage to have the suspension operate a throttle postion sensor and then you have something to datalog suspension travel. I guess what I'm saying is I like the other inputs as much as the wide band O2. Another feature I would highly recommend is something that datalogs. Not all widebands do this. By looking at dragstrip runs you can even tell what your exact stall speed is by the rpm graph. You can see spikes at the shift that you would never see with a gauge because obviously you can't stare at it when things get moving pretty fast. I can show you some screen shots if you want or answer any questions about the LM-1 and I haven't forgotten about the other info. I was supposed to get you. I think some of the other guys have other brand wide bands and hopefully they'll chime in. Clay
Paul P

81240.86 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Innovate MTX-L is the best one out there. I have one and their support is also very good if you need assistance connecting it to a tuner as an input or datalogger.
6.95@98.6 MPH 1/8mi
10.97@121 MPH 1/4mi
bowtie44s

772.34 points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, summit has the innovate mtx-l for $199, but i found them online elsewhere for $163. It says they are faster and more accurate than the uego which i did google and stands for universal exhaust gas oxygen.

So do you just weld in the bung and hook it to ground and hot? Is the soft ware pretty simple because i'm not real good on a computer.
Paul P

81240.86 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MTX-L comes complete with a tall weld in bung, Software and complete instructions. All connections are through the harness connected to the gauge and you will need to run power and ground. There is a calibration that needs to be done in open air. Make sure you follow the instructions and you will be very happy with that gauge.
Paul

6.95@98.6 MPH 1/8mi
10.97@121 MPH 1/4mi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Other - Engine Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: