Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Natural Gas 454
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Big Block
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave...I've had a couple thermodynamics classes back in my college days as well. I was one of the few EE's that took thermo as an elective.

Back on topic. I just don't see it. If the power output changes that means you're burning more fuel. If you're burning more fuel then airflow has increased to keep the same air fuel ratio. I guess I need to build two engines and dyno them to see the results for myself. Otherwise I just don't buy it.

I challenge you to push yourself.
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with 10sec.et - fantastic to be able to have a discussion with some disagreement and no name calling or strutting ego's. Here is my slight contribution. One way I read about volumetric vs. thermal efficiency related to boosted engines. If you have a cylinder with the same head but only change the pistions - dish vs. dome you can make more power with the dish piston. Reason is the dome takes up space in the cylinder vs. the dish since nothing else has changed. Therefore you can get more air in the cylinder and increase volumetric effeciency. If you squeeze it more with a dome my understanding is this is a thermal efficiency improvement. Now will the increased thermal effeciency cause hotter exhaust gasses and higher exhaust velocity? If so might this cause more exhaust "pull" during the overlap cylcle and also improve volumetric effeciency? From what I've learned about engines (the more I learn the less I know type thing) rarely can you look at one thing / event alone without looking at how it effects other things. Sometimes it makes my head hurt. That's my line of thought. Now off to do my homework Dave gave us Laughing . Clay
10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a completely stock, low mileage, 4.3L "baby" LT1 that we could use for just such an experiment. like clay said, "the more i learn, the less i know".

im still thinking this over. i have some theorys but its late and theres that darned "working for a living" thing, tomorrow Rolling Eyes .

10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking at this in a slightly different way.... when loading ammo, i can get more pressure during the "burn", resulting in more velocity, by simply seating the bullet deeper in the case (raise compression). the charge (fuel) is exactly the same only difference is increased compression. i know its kind of apples to oranges but, IMO, the principal is the same.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Big Block All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: