Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Wheel Spacers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJ88Camaro

174.20 points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Wheel Spacers Reply with quote

Hey guys new here. Can you run wheel spacers with drag slicks? I would like to use the spacers that bolt on. I need to gain about an 1 inch on each wheel. I could also use the 1/2'' slip on if I have to. Just do not want to go to the track and not be able to run. Small block car just hoping to run 11.90 or better
Paul P

81574.74 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With that much power I would look for the correct rim for the car. Backspacing can be ordered according to what you need.

There is no rule against them as long as the lug stud penetration into the lug nut is per the rules which is at least the diameter of the stud into the lug nut.

1971 - Chevelle 408 SBC N/A
6.86@102.5 MPH 1/8mi
10.78@122 MPH 1/4mi
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought some types of wheel spacers are prohibited, ones with slots. The spacer has to be concentric all the way around.

As Paul said the critical part is the thread engagement in the lug nut.

I challenge you to push yourself.
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spacers are allowed so long as they are centered on the wheel hub and the wheel studs are long enough to engage the threads in the major portion of the nut at least the diameter of the wheel stud (which on most Chevy's is 7/16th of an inch). I have no idea where the idea of them sticking out side of the lug nut an inch comes from. It isn't in the NHRA rule book anywhere that I have read.

I have not read anything about it having holes in the spacer but the old VW style wheel adapters where different lug nuts were cast into the spacer would be illegal. The studs that hold on the wheel has to be the car's stud coming from the axle that bolts the wheel on.

It was a a spacer and improperly torqued lugs that caused Wilkerson's car to loose a wheel and tire when driven by Tascca

Big Dave
MJ88Camaro

174.20 points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for all the reply's. The wheel I need is a 15x10 with a 3 or 3 1/2 inch back space. The car has been tubbed. The rims that are on the car now are 15x14 with a 7 inch back space. MT 29x18.5x15 street tires. I think the car would run quicker with a smaller tire, thinking a 29x11x15 slick. The car will not see alot of track time. I would like to find a set of rims used, If I can use a spacer atleast that would help in getting a set of rims that will work. Thanks for all the help.
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a 1" spacer that is centered on both the axle and wheel. I also have 5/8" studs that go through the entire set up using the 11/16" shoulder.

Do not use the store bought spacers as they will use the lugs to center the wheel which is not the way to do it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: