Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Chevy 416 Heads
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no cheap pump set up that will work with the sand slurry. Everything must be made of stainless.

Is there a no porting rule?
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theoretically the cut divider should be better - unless it does something weird with the fuel distribution. It will still be better for airflow to each cylinder - it just depends if the fuel wants to play nice and follow. When you get your final combination together and have some track time please let us know what you found works best. Limited class stuff in very interesting - and a pain at the same time Smile The pump question is a tough one - stainless would wear the best I agree but I'm sure it's going to be expensive to play around with. Machines that they use to recoat driveways have a pump that has to pump the sealer / sand mixture and I think maybe Northern Tool sells them. Maybe they will sell a replacement pump and it not be too expensive. Clay
jtb0322

1131.62 points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few old pressure washers laying around... I know that pumps will burn up fairly quickly but do you think I can get the job done with these? Will they supply enough pressure?

Thanks!!
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't pressure but volume. You want to let the water wear everything slowly not cut through somewhere due to high velocity flow. A plastic sump pump could move the volume need and you can buy them at under a hundred each ($65-$78 each usually) and they will run for weeks moving sand filled water as they are little more than paddle wheels with a very low head pressure designed to move a lot water no more than ten feet high.

Big Dave
jtb0322

1131.62 points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I ended up using an old sump pump with a water/sand slurry. I only ran it for about 30 minutes tonight and it definitely seemed to be smoothing out the inside casting marks. I plan on running the system way more than I did tonight, but I just wanted to see if it would work. And the sump pump was working very well, pushing alot of the mixture through the intake. Any comments or advice?

Thanks!!
Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep checking frequently as it will straighten out the ports in an effort to improve the flow. You may want to consider epoxy in places to get your port volume back down to increase the velocity of the air flow.

Big Dave
jtb0322

1131.62 points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting ready to buy the aluminum flywheel and I'm a little bit confused? I have a machine shop built 305 that is was also balanced. I am confused about the internal/external flywheels and what I need to buy. This is a 1-piece rear main seal engine. Can someone please straighten me up on what I need to buy?

Thanks!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: