Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Lifts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Lifts Reply with quote

I'm considering getting a lift and looking for feedback. The lift I've been looking at is an Eagle Lift. I have limited room in the barn where the lift will fit and therefore going with cable routing on the bottom. This lift should easily meet my needs for hobby use and the price is right.

I challenge you to push yourself.
af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoke I prefer the 4 post. They are 30" narrower. They act as a good work bench when working on cars and are a must when doing exhaust work.

They run a little more though.

http://www.eagleequip.com/product/GLO-8000.html
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about a 4 post but doesn't it get in the way when you're trying to do things under the car?

af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMOKEmUP wrote:
I thought about a 4 post but doesn't it get in the way when you're trying to do things under the car?

Never had that problem. They are open front to back and 37" in between ramps. I even have a set of turn tables for doing alignments.
Doing front end work is nice because you can use a bottle jack to release the spring when changing ball joints etc. without lowering the car to the ground.

They make a great jig when making bigger structures like frames, hand rails, trusses for the 52' awning that runs the length of my back deck. Very Happy
10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with Adam. the only time the 4 post lift is in the way is when you need to hang the suspension to work on it. it also makes things like fuel lines, pumps, and filters difficult to access if they are on the frame rails of the vehicle. as far as pulling engines, transmissions and such, its no problem at all. having worked on both, i would put a 4 post at home if i was going to buy a lift. there are always going to be times when you wish you had the other lift but you will get more use out of a 4 post.

SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm.... You have me thinking. I like the idea of a four post where I can just drive on and lift it up. I just measured the barn and the four post will fit no problem. The two post will fit but the columns will need to go between floor joists.

The first project I plan to tackle with the lift is a new drive line for the 79 Z, LQ4 / 4L80E / 9" rear end. From looking at the lift pictures the center cross ties look to be in the way for pulling a transmission and rear end.

10sec.et

346624.78 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMOKEmUP wrote:
From looking at the lift pictures the center cross ties look to be in the way for pulling a transmission and rear end.

those are not cross ties. those are "sliders" on wheels for jacks and drip pans. they can be removed very easily, giving you a wide open space.

Big Dave

119910.22 points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having worked under both I agree the roll on four post is the best choice due to it's versatility and is the best choice for front suspension work. My only complaint is they are four inches too short at full lift for me to work under it with out stooping. But then I haven't found one yet that is higher due to limits on low ceilings..

I disagree with your choice of a nine inch rear. You will lose three percent of your flywheel horsepower by choosing the nine inch over the equally strong 12 bolt or the unbreakable dana 60. Both the Spicer and the Dana rear can have the Ford Torino rear bearings installed on the axel ends to use Explorer Disc brakes or Chevy drum brakes.

Only justification for a nine inch housing is you buying two complete pumpkins (gears, posi and high nickle differential case which is 75% of the cost of the rear end) so that you can pull the axles and swap gears in under an hour.

If you are really worried about swapping rear ratios look at a quick change rear end out of a roundy-round car. You can swap rear gears in under ten minutes with no mess. All four rear ends have similar costs and slight advantages over each other (quick change is bigger in size so a bit harder to fit under a car but they have a smaller version http://www.wintersperformance.com/). I use a Dana 60 on everything I build now; but I still have one car with 12 bolt that I haven't been able to break after a lot of effort on my part.

Big Dave
Skunkworkx

10318.16 points

1968 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not having either I can only dream Smile

Anywho... I like the 2 post MaxJax<sp> since you can move them when not using...but the 4 post drive on would be great for storage as well as working on Smile

I know... no help Sad

SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing some talking to people and I'm not hearing very good things about Eagle lifts. I guess they were bought out a few years ago and now everything is made in china. The quality and materials went way down. I'm probably not going to go with an Eagle lift and now looking at a challenger lift. It's about $1000 more but a guy I know has had his for almost 30 years and it's still going strong. He can't say that about his Eagle or Bendpack lifts.

Big Dave

119910.22 points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three of the five lifts in the shop I worked out of were purchased used from other shops closing their doors. Got the leads from our Snap-On salesman on those other local shops that were closing their doors and we went over to talk to them about what they had to sell. We bought and retrieved them off his shop floor using two wreckers (one with a boom we had to hire to pick it up, and we owned a flat bed wrecker to move it). Bought a commercial unit for the price of a hobby lift. One of them came with a full Bear front end alignment set-up with lasers and computers. (we went over there initally to buy a bigger, heavier duty compressor and possibly a tubing bender he had).

Big Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: