Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Latest Snowball Project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:34 am    Post subject: Latest Snowball Project Reply with quote

My sister in law recently purchased a project 76 Corvette that needs a lot or work. Needed transmission rebuilt so I voluntered for that. Asked how long the engine had been sitting - at least 10 years or so. Figured I might as well put gaskets and seals on the engine so they wouldn't have any problems later. Also wanted to improve the appearance as it had silicone absolutely oozing everywhere and the outside just looked "tired" for lack of a better term. First thing I noticed was everything on it had Loctite on it - what a pain to take apart. When I pulled the intake I noticed someone had done some porting. As I was chiseling the intake gaskets off I noticed some epoxy in a port. Thought this is strange to invest the time to epoxy a set of smog heads. Didn't see any epoxy in the rest of the ports and upon further investigation they had ground through to the pushrod hole and tried to fix with epoxy that almost of all of it had come off. Found a set of heads at our machine shop ready to go for $300. This is a flat tappet engine and they had plugged the drainback holes in the intake valley - took them out to increase oil to the camshaft. Also someone had installed a shield to keep hot oil off the underside of the intake but never blocked the exhaust crossover so don't know what they were hoping to do there - took that out. When I finally got the pan off found out they had used what appeared to be contact cement to glue the pan gaskets to the block - had to drive a scraper with a hammer down each side to get them off. Timing chain cover - same thing - used a wire wheel to get gasket off the cover and the fuel pump adaptor plate. Found a cam button with a flat tappet cam - took that out. When I pulled the windage tray to get the rear cap off to change the seal they had used Loctite, lockwashers AND rocker arm adjusting nuts to hold it in place - don't know what they thought would happen there. It has ARP studs and they Loctited the nuts on the studs. Also Loctited the nylon locknut on the oil pump stud. Finally got it back together and fired it this morning. One problem - it has about 100 lbs. oil pressure before it gets to 2000 rpm. So pulled pan to see if the bypass was stuck in the pump - it wasn't. Going to find a stock spring as that's all the pressure this thing will ever need and hopefully it'll be good from here. Sorry for the ramble but this engine just keeps on whippin me. Clay
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corvettes are just evil. there always seems to be a lot of weird stuff to deal with on those things. i vowed long ago that i would never intentionally own one. yeah, i know its technically not the cars fault but every one i work on is like that. good luck.

Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree. That was definitely a Ted Mack armature hour candidate that put that motor together. I guess he thought the cam button would make it go faster.

I must admit that when I first started out I was nearly as bad. Didn't have contact cement back then but I used aircraft engine shellac to glue all of the gaskets in place. That stuff sets up like concrete; though I didn't realize it until I had a rework to fix.

Big Dave
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot one other thing - instead of learning how the choke works they just bent the flap with pliers until they were happy I guess Rolling Eyes . Clay
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...Sounds like a mess. I'm sure the engine is in good hands and you'll get it running nice.

I'm not a big fan of the C3's. I do like the 69 & 70 but after that not so much. The one thing I really like about the vettes is they are full frame cars.

I challenge you to push yourself.
Mike 74

130.82 points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Clay - Thanks for knowing what the hell your looking at! When a woman picks out a car it's obviously for it's looks, with little regard for what's under the hood.. SHSTRBL will be "evil" as Satan himself once you're done Twisted Evil Love, your sister in law Very Happy
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike 74 wrote:
When a woman picks out a car it's obviously for it's looks, with little regard for what's under the hood..

i assure you, its not just women.most men are absolutely clueless.

SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10sec.et wrote:

That's an understatement.

I challenge you to push yourself.
Paul P

81574.74 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMOKEmUP wrote:
10sec.et wrote:

That's an understatement.

Absolutely Exclamation

1971 - Chevelle 408 SBC N/A
6.86@102.5 MPH 1/8mi
10.78@122 MPH 1/4mi
squeeezer

191524.76 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

absolutely...............................im clueless too Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: