Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Jeep 4.0l Crank Endplay Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Other - Engine Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thakmfb

149.76 points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Jeep 4.0l Crank Endplay Questions Reply with quote

I am currently doing a full rebuild on a 92 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L High Output engine. Block and rods were taken to the machine shop for measurements, cleaning, honing and cam bearings/freeze plugs. Everything came back good all the bearing housings within spec.

I purchased a reman. crank kit from Advanced Auto. Put my mains in and crank torque everything down. Check my crank endplay (just to make sure) and I have .009 in of endplay. Measured with a feeler gauge and dial indicator. Factory specs are .0015-.0065 in of endplay.

My question is i know it is not within spec but is it acceptable to run? Or do I need to get it within spec? If I need to get it within spec, what would be the best way to go about this.

Also just to make sure I am measuring 9 thousands of an inch correct and I am tight on endplay. Or am I actually measuring 90 thousands of an inch and VERY loose on end play. Thanks for all of the help, I am not new to rebuilds but new to measurements and adjustments b/c I did factory rebuilds under warranty.
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeep 4.0l Crank Endplay Questions Reply with quote

thakmfb wrote:
Check my crank endplay (just to make sure) and I have .009 in of endplay. Measured with a feeler gauge and dial indicator. Factory specs are .0015-.0065 in of endplay.

Also just to make sure I am measuring 9 thousands of an inch correct and I am tight on endplay. Or am I actually measuring 90 thousands of an inch and VERY loose on end play. Thanks for all of the help, I am not new to rebuilds but new to measurements and adjustments b/c I did factory rebuilds under warranty.

The spec you quoted is 1.5 - 6.5 thousands and you have 9 thousands which is loose.

If you run the engine as described you can run into problems with the transmission alignment, flexplate cracking and/or flywheel/ clutch issues. I would go back to where you bought the crank and see what they have to say.

I challenge you to push yourself.
af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeep 4.0l Crank Endplay Questions Reply with quote

thakmfb wrote:

I am not trying to be mean but???

.090 and .009 are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy different.

I would have someone else double check your measurements.

Hmm I did a crap load of Chevrolet warranty work in the early 80's and measured every flipping thing so I wouldn't have a call back.
As Smoke said .009 is pretty loose. As in 9 thou.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Other - Engine Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: