Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Transmission info needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Transmission info needed Reply with quote

I'm finally done with the cam swap in my cousin's Vortec 350 and need some help to get it installed in his truck. I need to know what the designation is for the transmission in his truck to buy a flywheel / clutch / pressure plate package. He has a 1983 4wd 1/2 ton pickup with a 305. It's a 4 speed granny low transmisson. On the shifter it has L - 1 -2- 3. It is the original transmission. I know what the flywheel needs to be but I know very little about manual transmissions. If there are any identifying marks or traits you need that may be on the case, etc., let me know. Thanks, Clay.
af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clay, I don't know what you mean but>>>

Run a 11" diaphragm clutch so the pedal stays lite and you will be good.

You know the fly wheel is weighted?

My son put over 60,000 on his Vortec/ NP 4speed without a clutch change. He was not nice to it either as I made 3 different rear drive shafts that broke the U-joint with 5500rpm clutch drops, so he wouldn't borrow moms Tahoe! Laughing
Big Dave

119910.22 points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
Clay, I don't know what you mean but>>>

Run a 11" diaphragm clutch so the pedal stays lite and you will be good.

You know the fly wheel is weighted?

My son put over 60,000 on his Vortec/ NP 4speed without a clutch change. He was not nice to it either as I made 3 different rear drive shafts that broke the U-joint with 5500rpm clutch drops, so he wouldn't borrow moms Tahoe! Laughing

Sounds like a Muncie SM-420 out of a medium duty truck. If so it will have a PTO plate on the lower side of the case. (check for images on Google). They were made from 1947 through 1967 so there are quite a few out there and they are still popular with 4x4 guys who like to crawl.

Big Dave
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I have the flywheel part - it needs to be the external balance for a one piece seal crankshaft. But I don't know what the transmission input shaft configuration is to order the clutch disc (spline count and diameter). We can measure it when he does the swap, I was trying to get a jump on it and order parts first. Like I said, I just don't know how many different manuals could have been installed in his particular truck or what the identifying marks, characteristics are, etc. and am after hopefully some quick guidance as to what it might be. Automatics I have decent knowledge about, but manuals - not so much. I really need to crawl up under it and look around myself instead of trying to get info from him. I'll try to get some pics this weekend and that should help the indentifying process drastically. Clay
af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

83 will be the 10 spline.
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65093.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on what I could find it's a SM465 transmission.

SM465:
Make: GM Muncie
Length: 12"
Height: 18"
Weight: 175 lbs
Case: Cast iron
Top cover: Cast iron.
Gearing: 6.55, 3.58, 1.57, 1.0

I challenge you to push yourself.
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Hopefully that should be enough info for me to go on. If not, I'll be back..... Laughing Thanks af2 and Smoke. Clay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: