Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Brakes sound like they are dragging in reverse

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tdevlin

213.86 points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Brakes sound like they are dragging in reverse Reply with quote

I have an Auburn Detroit Locker in a 9 in ford that sounds like the brakes on the drivers side drag in reverse. I have checked and re checked the brakes including replacing the springs. It will not recreate the noise when on jack stands, only when weight of auto in reverse. The rearend will also on occasion, bang like it is unlocking ???? Am i running the wrong gear lube? Called Summit and they told me that i did not need Posi lube. Has anyone experienced anything like this? What was the Fix? Other that the above I am very satisfied with the unit.
af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auburn is not a Detroit locker.

You need to run additive. I had to run 3 bottles of GM to get mine to quiet down.

They are a good unit though.
tdevlin

213.86 points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Strange Noises Reply with quote

AF2,

Thanks for the reply. What is GM ? I have not heard the term,other than General Motors.
Paul P

81240.86 points

1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is talking about the LSD GM additive.

http://www.amazon.com/1953-1996-Positraction-Rear-Lube-Additive/dp/B0028CMPIS

6.95@98.6 MPH 1/8mi
10.97@121 MPH 1/4mi
af2

71191.50 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul, That is what I was trying to say.

The fingers not keeping up with the brain again!!!! LOL Embarassed
Big Dave

119910.22 points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auburn uses cone shaped clutches (Eaton uses flat discs that are rebuildable by means of replacing the discs) that uses a friction material that needs the gear lube additive to prevent the clutches from sticking together.

An Eaton Detroit Locker (Eaton made a lot of popular rear ends that have become synonymous with performance rear ends including the trade named Posi-Traction) is a locker. A locker is always engaged and has to be forced out of engagement by the axle loading the rear end in a corner as the car's weight shifts. This results in a lot of popping and banging which is "normal" for a locker.

If you have a Detroit Locker spinning up on jack stands it will never disengage so you will get no noise. Of course an Auburn will not make any noise either when up on jack stands. The clutches are not engaged in a posi as they are activated by a difference in wheel speed. So it is an open rear end until one wheel starts to spin.

So I guess the question is what type differential do you have?

Big Dave
tdevlin

213.86 points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Noise in Reverse. Reply with quote

Hey everyone, Thanks for the responses. I now think what i have is an Eaton Unit. I recall when it was purchased 10 years or so ago the it was called a Detroit Locker and sold by Summit.....I sent an e-mail to Eaton's tech help yesterday and was directed to call the individual at Eaton. He suggested that do to the car sitting for extended periods, sometimes months. The clutchs were lacking lube. he said that i should take the car to a parking lot and do a Funny Car type burn out. You know, really boil the rear tires....Ha ha, just kidding.....Actually he said a vacant parking lot and do several slow figure 8's.... Kind of makes sense, although i thought the clutches would be down in the Gear Lube anyway. He also recommended the green stinky gear lube for posi units from Ford.

Tim
Knarley Darley

540230.26 points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ford stuff works the best. The figure 8 driving is a waste of time. The additive will work in 10 minutes or less of regular driving. I usually put 2 in because they are dinky little things and that seems to be the right amount for a rear that is chattering badly. Dont get it on your HANDS, it stinks BAD and takes about a week to get out of your skin. I buy it by the case because we use it a lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: