Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Matching combustion chamber size to blocks bore
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Other - Engine Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's sort of weird that the cam company doesn't appear to be helpful. I would think they would want their stuff to last and function as well as possible - that just makes everybody happy and lets face it - help their reputation greatly. One thing I can pretty much say is modifying the chamber to the bore size won't help anything. Your head design has the port exit aimed at the center of the bore so no sort of valve shrouding is present therefore increasing the chamber size is basically irrelavent. I can see where the smaller base circle will affect geometry but I just think running the adjusters down will accomplish the same effect as some sort of lash cap or a longer stem valve. To retain the factory geometry really the pivot point of the rocker needs to move toward the cam. Are the rocker shafts round where they bolt down? It appears they are but if they do have a flat where they meet the head, you could machine that surface to get things correct. Clay

Edit - I looked at your other post. Looks like they do mount to a flat surface. You could also machine the head surface where the rocker shafts mount as this may be easier but that should be the correct way to solve the probem with geometry. What exactly does happen to these setups when they go wrong?

richardparker

847.94 points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of people complained about the ramps of the cams getting worn.
I also had the thought of machining the rocker shafts base mount because it is flat.
I really don't know anything at all about doing that area but It does seam like the place to do it because it would act like a shorter rocker arm.
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One curious thing is the appearance of the cams. They have the appearance of a flat tappet camshaft by having the black parkerizing on them. It definately looks like a cast core cam and I'm wondering if either the core isn't hard enough to support the more agressive ramp and stronger spring combination or if they are regrinding a factory core they are getting through some of the case hardning and causing problems. Just thinking out loud. Clay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Other - Engine Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: