Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

350 Vortec Heads & Cam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GUITAR1989

278.64 points

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: 350 Vortec Heads & Cam Reply with quote

Hey guys im planning on taking on my first engine upgrade and I was wondering if you guys would help me through the process Very Happy
My 74' stepside has a pretty stock engine right now. Edlebrock Proform 2101 intake, K&N air cleaner, Headers...thats it lol
So I decided new heads are the next thing I want for my engine. Ive settled on building some RHS Vortecs. http://www.racingheadservice.com/Information/Technical/Heads/TechSheets/12407_IS.pdf
Heres what I am going to be putting into the bare heads.
http://www.competitionproducts.com/Head-Improvement-Kit-Chev-SB-w_194-150-Valves-Hyd-FT/productinfo/8511/

http://www.competitionproducts.com/Manley-Guide-Plates-Chev-SB-5_16-Raised/productinfo/42151-8/

http://www.competitionproducts.com/ARP-High-Perf-Rocker-Arm-Stud-Kit-Chev-SB-Pontiac-V8/productinfo/134-7101/

Do you guys see anything wrong in my parts list so far? What parts would you suggest? Its my fIrst head build so I want to make sure I dont mess em up.

Im talking to a comp cams person to try and figure out what cam would be the best to put in allong with the new heads. If you guys have any suggestions I would greatly apprecuate to hear em Smile
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first problem is if you want to reuse your Edelbrock intake. It has the original style bolt pattern and won't bolt up to the RHS heads you list as they of course have the late model Vortec pattern. I sincerely hope your experience with Comp Cams is better than my past ones with their tech line. Welcome to Smokemup! Clay
GUITAR1989

278.64 points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man Very Happy I think the RHS heads can use normal manifolds cause it says something to that effect in the description of the heads. Oh yeah I sent comp cams a message early today and still havent heard anything back from them Evil or Very Mad Check it out.....
New RHS® Pro Torker™ Vortec heads outflow all previously available Small Block Chevy iron cylinder heads. In comparison to the popular GM 906 casting, Pro Torker™ Vortec heads flow 27 more cfm at 0.500” lift -right out of the box. Made from premium-quality cast iron using our patented Clean Cast Technology™, Pro Torker™ heads deliver the competitive edge in racing classes where iron heads are required. Pro Torker™ Vortec heads come standard with radiused, hardened exhaust seats, multi-angled intake seats, and “Fast Burn” 64cc combustion chambers. [i]To ensure maximum versatility, Pro Torker™ Vortec heads feature dual pattern intake compatibility to allow use with virtually any intake manifold[/i], early or late. Also equipped with 1.550” valve spring seats and valve guides engineered to avoid retainer to guide clearance issues when used with high lift camshafts, Pro Torker™ Vortec heads have overcome all of the shortcomings normally associated with OEM Vortec heads. So if you’re in the market for a superior-performing cast iron cylinder head, remember that RHS® delivers the ultimate in high-quality, high-flow technology with its new Pro Torker™ Vortec heads.

Oh yeah im also wondering what Rocker arms to use. Im not sure if these heads have the same rocker clearance issues as the GM Vorteces. I dont really want to mess around with grinding some of the center bolt support out of the valve cover Sad
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using those heads and they are good. Because of the port height you will need Felpro 1206 gaskets and minimum, an Edelbroke Air-Gap to cover the port. You will have to port match the manifold at the top of the port but there is plenty of material.
Mine runs best at 32* total timing with flat tops and 89 octane California crap fuel.

The rockers made for center bolt heads work fine. DO NOT buy off shoot brands( Summit, Pro-comp, etc) Stick with Comp cams or any other name brand.
GUITAR1989

278.64 points

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input man. Verry appreciative Smile I dont have the money for all the parts quite yet so I have alot of time to research a good parts list Very Happy
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the rockers I am using on my cousin's Vortec (actually the self guiding version). We've had excellent luck with them on street stuff and the price is great too. I second Adams advice on the off brands. I tried Jeg's brand rockers and had a problem with the pivot bearings being loose in the rocker body. Luckily I found this on the break in stand when I noticed some of them weren't centered over the valves any longer after only about 30 min. of run time. They did take them back and I went to Comp Gold's. Neat idea on the heads with both bolt patterns. See - I learned something new today - cool! Clay
SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know they made the heads compatible with early style (non vortec) either.

I challenge you to push yourself.
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will help......duh
http://www.competitionproducts.com/Comp-Cams-Magnum-Roller-Tip-Rockers-Chev-SB-3_8-152/productinfo/1412-16/

af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMOKEmUP wrote:
I didn't know they made the heads compatible with early style (non vortec) either.

RHS and EQ Vortec heads accept the early intakes.

Just built a 360" chevy for my sons boat using the EQ and they are a nice piece. Plus we got them off E-bay for $275 to his door for 2 heads.
GUITAR1989

278.64 points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody else have any suggestions for full Roller Rockers. I dont have a ton of money...I know reliable & cheap dont go hand in hand but any suggestions as to what you used on your vortecs and what modifications it took to get them to fit is much appreciated Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: