Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Accessory brackets?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigtizzles

2940.76 points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Accessory brackets? Reply with quote

I got my heads and block back from the machine shop. Its a 68' 327 with Vortec heads. So, can I use the accessory holes in the heads to mount my alternator? Will the belts line up? It will have a short style water pump. Can I just use late model brackets from the junkyard and paint them up, or do I have to buy fancy billet ones? I wonder if all Gen 3 smallblock heads have the same accessory bolt pattern, or is vortec different? Does it matter if I mount it on the left or right side, or is that dependent on which vehicle i get?
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can mix and match to a point, but not as far as what you are asking. As far as I know the accessory holes are in the same location they have always been. If you have all the brackets for the short water pump setup then that would be the easiest way to go. However, personally I don't really like the way they look. They just locate everything too far out for my tastes - I like the tucked in look. You can buy a water pump for a later model (long) and then you can run basically anything as far as accessory brackets from probably the early 70's to present - serpentine included. That's the way I would go. A water pump will only set you back I'm guessing $25 or so and then any bracket setup you find will work. Sure you can buy the fancy billet brackets but I actually like the factory painted ones (I'm weird like that). Clay
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vintage Air offers a huge selection of brackets for various setups. they have painted steel as well as pricey billet ones.

bigtizzles

2940.76 points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so what all would I have to do to run a long pump? The motor originally came with the short pump so the crank pulley might be wrong? I kinda wanted to stay with the short pump for maximum clearance for whatever I decide to throw it in.
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unless youre going to put it in something really small, you shouldnt have any clearance issues. if the vehicle is something that was never intended to have a V8 then youre going to be doing fab work to install the engine anyway. the water pump will be the least of your worries.

bigtizzles

2940.76 points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what vehicles actually came equipt with the short pump, and heads with accessory holes? Is there a timeline for the pump styles?
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigtizzles wrote:
So what vehicles actually came equipt with the short pump, and heads with accessory holes? Is there a timeline for the pump styles?

Dave would probably have the best answer to that but i only see the short style on older engines. based on what i have personally experienced, from somewhere in the 70s on up they are long type with bolt holes in the heads. i dont usually see the short style pumps on engines with the accessory bolt holes in the heads.

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember almost exactly what 10sec.et posted and Big Dave would be an excellent source. Here is a post with some information - I remember Corvette's being different as far as years but didn't know about trucks. Clay
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/chevy-water-pump-long-short-150622.html

bigtizzles

2940.76 points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so how do you tell if its a reverse pump? Will I have to change my waterpump pulley or just get the deeper crank pulley?
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reverse rotation pump is on later model engines with serpentine belts. dont buy a used water pump. that would be the only way you could mistakenly get a reverse pump. i dont know about pulleys but i bet the v belt pulleys for a long water pump are quite abundant. half the members here probably have a few lying around in their garage.

bigtizzles

2940.76 points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so when did serpentine belts start? I should just buy a water pump from any small block after 69 and before they started using serpentines?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: