Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Axle tube swap

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Axle tube swap Reply with quote

Ok, so I have read about 14 conflicting sources on whether or not axle tubes can be swapped on integral housing rearends like the Ford 7.5 and Ford 8.8"

I am interested in doing so as the 99-04 Mustang 8.8 housings are hard to come by and overpriced while the 7.5" rearends out of the base models are laying around. Both use the same axle shafts, bearings, and brake parts.

This leads me to consider if I can drill out the welds and pull the axle tubes from the center castings and put the longer tubes from the 7.5" 99-04 Mustang housings into an earlier 8.8" center casting.

Maybe that all sounds pretty extreme but 8.8 rears are much stronger and the parts are cheaper- if I can make a good housing, I can build 2x the rearend for about 20% less given what parts I already have.

I keep reading about axle tube alignment- makes a lot of sense- However, seems to me the tubes press into the center casting a fair distance- is that how they are aligned or do I need 400 dollars worth of alignment jigs, which would make this not worthwhile.

Pretty tired of broken 7.5" parts Confused

af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut the outer flanges of the 8.8 / Cut the axle tubes and weld the flanges back on!

A simple bar going through the housing with center pucks works.

Either way you need the center pucks to make it straight.
squeeezer

191524.76 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mountains out of mole hills
find the right housing (mustang)they cant be that hard to find 80% of all r+p gears and bearings and carriers i do are on gt mustangs

a little food for thought explorer,mountaineer, and the lincoln version have 8.8's with disc brakes they have 31 spline axles.
you can get them with 4.10 gears and a lsd........i know cause im looking for one for the wrangler,maybe

i dont remember how much but they are a little longer than sn95 axles

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much longer are the tubes ? you can buy housing ends that are a couple inches longer. to answer your question, yes they can be swapped. just depends on how much work you want to put into that rearend. you may find it more economical to go with something such as a 9" rather than replacing tubes. i bet youre going to have to machine out the tubes even after cutting out the welds. only one way to find out......

MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about using the other rears but the upper control arm mounts are ears cast into the center chunk...

I wish I could just find a 99-04 8.8 housing for a reasonable cost... Keep getting people trying to screw me over with a 94-98 housing which is 1.5" too short

Sounds like its more work than it is worth then- just wait it out for the right parts to come along.

I thought about the 31 spline pieces too- as I understand it with Trac-locks from Ford, all that has to be changed to go 31 spline are the side gears. But that I dont know 100% for certain yet either.

10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MufflerBearings69 wrote:
I thought about using the other rears but the upper control arm mounts are ears cast into the center chunk...

weld the mounts onto a 9" and use tubular uppers with heim joints.

MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The longer I looked at any of it, the best bet seems to be to freshen up the 7.5 I have.

So, when I have read the book I have on setting up gears and feel lost I will be back again.

If anyone has a particularly good book on setting up ring and pinions I would love to hear it.

Thanks for the insight- seems I just need to fix what I have and wait for the right complete 8.8 to come along.

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to go another approach - simailar to af2's. Could you cut the tubes basically in the middle of the center section and the outer flange. If the tubes on the 7.5 and the 8.8 are the same diameter you can cut them to come up with whatever track width you need, vee them, clamp in something like a piece of 3" angle to hold them straight and weld back together. Then if you were really concerned, you can get tubing or pipe that will slip over the tube (probably 3" i.d.), split in half and then scab it over the previous weld. I like having the longer surface to get things lined up straight. I think it would be easier that lining up the flange on the very end of the tube - which can be done - I just like having the length of the tube to help. Just another approach. Sorry - don't have any books on gear setup although I can help when you get started. Clay
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clay wrote:
Sorry - don't have any books on gear setup although I can help when you get started. Clay

yeah, dont worry too much about setting things up. theres definitely enough knowledge here to walk you through it.

Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MufflerBearings69 wrote:
The longer I looked at any of it, the best bet seems to be to freshen up the 7.5 I have.

So, when I have read the book I have on setting up gears and feel lost I will be back again.

If anyone has a particularly good book on setting up ring and pinions I would love to hear it.

Thanks for the insight- seems I just need to fix what I have and wait for the right complete 8.8 to come along.

I can recommend Joe Palazzolo's book on differential rebuilding entitled "High-Perf Differentials, Axles, and Drivelines". Amazon has it for $16.47.

http://www.amazon.com/High-Perf-Differentials-Axles-Drivelines-Palazzolo/dp/1934709026/ref=pd_sim_b_1

Big Dave
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A buddy at work suggested this site - give it a look. Clay
http://www.newtakeoff.com/mustang-28.aspx

MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dave- Ordered that book and going to read it over.

I know the knowledge here is abundant but I feel like if I don't try to learn some on my own before asking that I waste people's time... I have downloaded installation instructions from several brands of ring and pinions to look at various methods too.

newtakeoff.com seems to have all 05-09 axle parts except some gearsets- however, my buddy who needed some oem parts for his 07 said he really appreciates the link!!

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't try to learn some on my own before asking that I waste people's time...

Trying on your own it by far the best way to learn. When I started rearends, I had helped another friend do one - I was mainly just the parts washer and watched what he did. The first one on my own - when I had a good pattern, I would add 0.005" - 0.010" to the pinion shim and see how the pattern changed. Then take away the same and see what happened. Even though you're basically setting it up wrong on purpose you will learn a lot by doing this. Time consuming but very helpful in helping you understand. Glad the link could help someone. Clay

MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally had some luck- landed a 2003 Mach 1 rear complete rotor to rotor for the right price. Has the updated 75w140 tag under one of the cover bolts for the TSB (regarding noise and gear wear- went from 75w90 to 75w140 synth) and its in and working fine so far.

Thinking I will just drive it til school is out then throw some other gears in- the 3.55s are much better on gas!

Squeezer you were right- I just needed to broaden my search methods to find the right deal.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: