Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

383 stroker build check please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigoldblack

201.90 points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: 383 stroker build check please Reply with quote

1979 chevy k30 dually plow truck build a 383 stroker with stuff I have laying around just want some input on number. GM 14 bolt 10.5 rear i believe a 4.10 with a 400 transmission. The truck has a newer style 1989 roller cam motor and has plenty of power. So, another option is keeping the roller valvetrain set-up.
thanks! for the help!

64 cc 1997 Vortec heads
18 cc piston KB102 18cc
.028 gasket thickness
4.1 gasket bore
4.030 bore
0 deck
3.75 stroke
5.7 rod
55 ABDC flat tappet cam # 12-234-2

9.9 static 8.5 dynamic

carburetor with vortec intake. looking on running a quadra jet.
might need some bigger jets?? Or, will stock work[/i]
bigoldblack

201.90 points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anything would be helpful. I ran a desktop dyno with a x4250h cam
255hp and 400 tq at 3K don't know how reliable the program is?
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your desktop results are low. On Comp Cams site they even show a 350 making 330 h.p. and 411 ft. lbs. You should be able to easily achieve this and beat it a little bit. They used Dart S/R heads but your Vortecs should be a little better. Personally I'd try to stay with the hydraulic roller valvetrain but aftermarket cams have gotten really pricey - all are pretty much approaching $300 for the cam alone. If budget is an issue (as it is with most of us) Paul_P on here has a camshaft and lifters for sale that is almost identical to the Comp Cam one you spec'd. Send him a PM if you're interested. For your applicaton I think it would be a good choice if you are interested primarily in smooth operation and good torque. Looks good to me. Welcome to Smokemup. Clay
bigoldblack

201.90 points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Clay I appreciate. I am on a budget and have certain $$ to work with so i appreciate. Now carburation on a quadra jet will I need bigger jets?
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I haven't actually tuned many Quadrajets - rebuilt a few, but not really tuning for a specific engine. It won't be jets anyway, it will be metering rods and hangers. The engine you are building is pretty mild as far as camshaft specs which is where a lot of the problems can come from - excessive overlap causing idle problems. One approach is to send your carburetor to somebody like SMI (Sean Murphy Induction) and let them go through it. Most Quadrajets have throttle shaft issues with wear and other things are worn that cause problems. He will basically fix everything, set it up for your specific application and even recoat it so it looks and functions like new - only better. On top of that you have somebody to call and ask specific questions. I'm sure there are other companies out there that do the same thing with a Quadrajet - I have a friend that use SMI and had good results. Clay
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-jets are great if you have someone to build/tune it. however, it will cost 2-3 times more to build a Q-jet than just buy a new Holley and tune it yourself. unless youre going for some numbers matching thing or are racing in some "stock" class where aftermarket carbs are not allowed, i would put the Q-jet on a shelf. just my opinion though.

robins44

18797.16 points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree also, q jets are nice, but a properly sized holley will be decent on fuel, easy to tune, and reliable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: