Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

proper spring height?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigtizzles

2940.76 points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: proper spring height? Reply with quote

I'm going to get a spring retainer and lock kit for my vortec heads. I'm reading about shimming, and determining spring height and i'm a little confused. I read this article
http://www.cpgnation.com/forum/comp-cams-how-valve-spring-tech-2047.html

Is there a more strait forward way to explain this? Is there really as much involved as it seems? Why is the installed spring with the least height become the "proper installed height". Are you simply just trying to make them all the same so the valves open equally? What if your shortest "proper" spring didn't have enough, or had too much seat pressure? Then you would think the spring pressure alone would determine the desired spring height?
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: proper spring height? Reply with quote

bigtizzles wrote:

Is there a more strait forward way to explain this? Is there really as much involved as it seems? Why is the installed spring with the least height become the "proper installed height". Are you simply just trying to make them all the same so the valves open equally? What if your shortest "proper" spring didn't have enough, or had too much seat pressure? Then you would think the spring pressure alone would determine the desired spring height?

It is not that hard.
You need to know what the actual SEAT pressure is at the height of the closed position.
To check, a simple set of calipers will get you close.
After the valve job!
You can assemble the retainers and locks and measure the distance.

If the valve job was done correct you should have no more than .010 difference in measurement on all valves.

Once you get the established height At around 1.8" on stock SBC heads you need to have the springs checked to see if they are actually what they were advertised at. Most are not!!

To make sure you have the correct spring as far as open pressure subtract the closed#(1.8") by the valve lift and make sure it is close to cam card.

If I totally confused you PM me with a phone# and I will try and help you through it.
bigtizzles

2940.76 points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I might call you. I havn't got the heads back from the shop yet. What determines the seat pressure. Is it unique to the spring, or should it be specific to the head? What do you mean have the springs checked? The valve lift would be determined by the cam right? What is the cam card?
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what tooling is needed to set up the springs ? nothing stupid expensive just what is needed for someone who is probably only going to do a couple sets of heads. i ask because i will most likely end up doing this myself too.

bigtizzles

2940.76 points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cleaned up all the valves at work. How can you tell if they can be reused or not? Sorry, a little off the subject sort of...
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigtizzles wrote:
I cleaned up all the valves at work. How can you tell if they can be reused or not? Sorry, a little off the subject sort of...

If they are not bent and haven't had valve jobs you should be fine. A drill press would be the last resort to check for straightness but will give you an idea.
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10sec.et wrote:
what tooling is needed to set up the springs ? nothing stupid expensive just what is needed for someone who is probably only going to do a couple sets of heads. i ask because i will most likely end up doing this myself too.

I would use a snap gauge if the calipers won't fit and measure the installed height.

Believe it or not a digital Bathroom scale is within #'s checking seat pressure using a press.

If I could find one that went to 1000# that would be the ultimate, being able to check open pressure.
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

af2 wrote:
Believe it or not a digital Bathroom scale is within #'s checking seat pressure using a press.

If I could find one that went to 1000# that would be the ultimate, being able to check open pressure.

here ya go.....

http://www.kingsizedirect.com/1/1/46094-bathroom-scale-1000-lbs-capacity-big-tall.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: