Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Hurst ram rod shifter help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jag327

3218.32 points

1982 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Hurst ram rod shifter help Reply with quote

I have a hurst ram rod shifter, can any 1 tell me how to use it - shifting from 1st to 2nd - 3rd to 4th gear and how to shift in reverse and down shift from 4th to 1st gear.

Any use 1 before and any pics of it install and mounted on a tranny.

Any 1 have copies on the mounting / instruction manual.

Any 1 ever mount it to Saginaw 4 speed tranny with a torque that mounts to the rear.

I'm pulled the M22 tranny and install the saginaw for the 1st gear 3.50 like to install the hurst ram rod on it.

Big Dave

119973.02 points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shifter I used was a copy of your Hurst Ram Rod shifter made by Mr. Gasket and called a Vertical Gate shifter. Mr. Gasket ultimately purchased Hurst Performance from George Hurst and put it out of business applying the Hurst name to Mr. Gasket products. Unfortunately after George sold his company Hurst products were no longer supported by Mr. Gasket and all of the instruction sheets are no longer available. Not even for the copy cat Vertical Gate as it went out of production in the late seventies.

It is designed for drag racing only and has a few issues when used on the street namely difficulty in down shifting into any gear except third and first. Also if you are slow to shift into second (casually driving) the shifter will drop through the neutral gate and put you into fourth gear because it is spring loaded. The pattern is just back and forth. Starting out in first you snatch it back and you are in second. Once in second the gate opens across neutral so when you shove it forward again it will spring down through the gate as you slam the shifter into third. From third you snatch it right back again to put it in fourth gear (they also made a five speed version for Richmond five speeds).

The action is fast and somewhat violent when you first play with it, but it grows on you. To get it back into first you have to be traveling slowly enough to allow the sycros to spin up the gear set in the transmission to match your forward speed as you pull up on the handle to compress the spring lifting it through neutral and push it into first gear. Reverse is locked out of the pattern and is accessed by putting the shifter in neutral and then pushing the separate reverse lever shifter down and back to activate reverse (a three point turn on the street requires a lot of shifting to achieve).

It uses the same "H" pattern as the Competition plus but stacking it vertically in stead of laying it out on a horizontal plane. With the addition of a few stiff springs and very strong side rails to keep the shifter moving in only one plane it truly transforms your shifting experience. With a crash box (modified sycros and gear set teeth) and this shifter you can bang gears as fast as Ronnie Sox.

The shifter has one other bad trait. It sucks up a lot of real-estate and requires a huge hole in your car's floor boards and trans tunnel to clear the shifter body and rods. There is no hope of a console with this shifter.

Big Dave
jag327

3218.32 points

1982 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info man, I'm going to going head and try to make bracket rods and get it mounted. When the weather starts to change.

As you seeing in the pics is how it will be mounted. the said mounting
that on the ram rod will be cut off. And a new 1 will be made to catch
the tranny 2 hole mounts on the right side of it.

af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the rods are not a straight shot to the levers on the trans they wont work right.

If you have a bend in the shift rods they wont work!!!

That is why that shifter sits 2" further left than the others.

I ran that shifter in my Vega and it was awesome once I got the stops adjusted.

A friend still has his in his 58 Chevy PU and still likes it.
MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long makes a shifter like that. I knew a guy who had one in a fox body mustang mated to a richmond 5 speed.

Maybe their instructions could be of some help?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: