Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

1994 Ford Explorer 4x4 front end Creaking when stopping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blsbrandon1

330.78 points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: 1994 Ford Explorer 4x4 front end Creaking when stopping Reply with quote

I Know its no muscle car but anyway i need some info on what might be wrong with it, Every time i start coming to a stop the front end creaks a lot, It does not creak going over bumps. The brakes are pretty much new but when im stopping you can feel the creaking in the brake peddle and floorboards, it is very laud and scary sounding but it stops grate, it does get worse when the brakes are heated up, what could it be? any help? thanks for reading
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did have one set of brake pads on my S-10 that would make strange sounds but mostly when they got hot. Mine would sound more like they had sheared the friction material off and were sorta grinding metal to metal. Only do this when I was towing something pretty heavy (actually too heavy for what an S-10 could stop), daily driving it would never make a sound. Rotors always looked great and it went away when I changed pads. I have had the best luck with running the cheapest pads I can buy as far as noise, rotor wear and pedal feel. However they do wear quicker and will gets wheels nasty. That's a first cheap try, double check everything is tight as far as pads in the calipers, etc. and make sure the calipers are floating on the pins like they should. Clay
blsbrandon1

330.78 points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clay wrote:
I did have one set of brake pads on my S-10 that would make strange sounds but mostly when they got hot. Mine would sound more like they had sheared the friction material off and were sorta grinding metal to metal. Only do this when I was towing something pretty heavy (actually too heavy for what an S-10 could stop), daily driving it would never make a sound. Rotors always looked great and it went away when I changed pads. I have had the best luck with running the cheapest pads I can buy as far as noise, rotor wear and pedal feel. However they do wear quicker and will gets wheels nasty. That's a first cheap try, double check everything is tight as far as pads in the calipers, etc. and make sure the calipers are floating on the pins like they should. Clay

Thanks for the help ill check it out
squeeezer

191524.76 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

upper control arms/balljoints????

53123.48 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mention feeling it in the brake pedal which is very unusual with a pad problem.
Does your vehicle have ABS and could you be experiencing problems in that area?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Driveline / Suspension All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: