Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

new valve guides?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigtizzles

2940.76 points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: new valve guides? Reply with quote

Ok, I learned a lesson today. I disassembled one of my heads. Some of the valves were hard to get out. I DID NOT hammer them through the guides but I did have to work a couple around to get them out. One of them I "screwed" out. So needless to say, the guides are scratched up. But all valves were removed by hand. I suppose I'm gonna need new guides now? Or will it be ok? How much is this gonna cost on average?
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're probably fine. I'm sure countless valve guides have been scratched up like you described. A scratch doesn't really affect the overall clearance, which excessive clearance is the real problem. Excessive clearance will cause a positive style seal problems with not being able to seal as good as it should. That's why you hear the old story of putting the umbrella style seals on a set of worn out heads and this helping the oil consumption - by how they are installed, they could care less about guide clearance. Your machine shop of choice will be able to tell you if you need guides and price. Next time take a stone and work on the groove in the top of the valve. Most of the time this is where the problem is. The keepers raise a little burr here and this prevents them from sliding back out the guides. Don't sweat it at this point - not everything goes perfect (rarely does) but this is how we learn. Clay
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hell, i did that to my Ebrock heads on the first valve Head Bang . one of those things that makes you say "WTF was i thinking?".

bigtizzles

2940.76 points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks Clay. What did you have to do 10sec.et. Did you need new guides? At least the other head will be OK. Worst case I'll need 2 or 3 new guides, as long as the clearances are within spec on the others. Anybody else wanna chime in?
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably not going to worry about it. i honestly left it up to my machinist (yeah, the one that F'd up the rods Rolling Eyes ) to decide if it needs to be replaced. im betting not as it doesnt have any clearance problems and a good seal will take care of any oil issues.

bigtizzles

2940.76 points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll just hope for the best. Thanks guys. I'm almost ready to haul all this stuff to the machine shop. Still asking around for the best most affordable one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: