Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

carb rebuild question?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1850 is a 600cfm vacuum secondary with a crossover tube from the primary bowl to secondary bowl and a single fuel inlet...

So, if the accelerator pump on the primary bowl is a check ball type, then no, you wont use that piece at all. One pump on a 1850, nowhere else that can or should go.

I have only ever bought one Holley new (which I had to put gaskets in but thats its own fiasco) and the rest i would pick up dirt cheap used and put a kit in them. One thing I learned real fast was to follow Holley's diagrams, not how the used unknown carb came apart.

Did your kit come with a sheet and an exploded view? If you get really stuck, buy a book on rebuilding Holleys- for the exploded views that make the advice from this forum make more sense...

Dont forget the o-rings on that crossover tube and dont shove em in dry Shocked

bigtizzles

2940.76 points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, the hell with it. I'm gonna start putting it back together tomorrow. The vacuum dashpot was a bitch to get back together. The kit didn't come with a new one. I did the best I could, i ran a neat little bead of silicone around where the 2 pieces of the thing go together. The little ball moves i just hope it doesn't leak internally. What would happen if it did??
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MufflerBearings69 wrote:
1850 is a 600cfm vacuum secondary with a crossover tube from the primary bowl to secondary bowl and a single fuel inlet...

So, if the accelerator pump on the primary bowl is a check ball type, then no, you wont use that piece at all. One pump on a 1850, nowhere else that can or should go.

I have only ever bought one Holley new (which I had to put gaskets in but thats its own fiasco) and the rest i would pick up dirt cheap used and put a kit in them. One thing I learned real fast was to follow Holley's diagrams, not how the used unknown carb came apart.

Did your kit come with a sheet and an exploded view? If you get really stuck, buy a book on rebuilding Holleys- for the exploded views that make the advice from this forum make more sense...

Dont forget the o-rings on that crossover tube and dont shove em in dry Shocked

That is correct. The umbrella is not used if you have the ball.
If used it will go through the hole that you have the ball.
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigtizzles wrote:
The little ball moves i just hope it doesn't leak internally. What would happen if it did??

You will see fuel dripping out of the pump squirters at idle and above.
bigtizzles

2940.76 points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its all back together, and looks brand new. I spent hours cleaning it up. I'm proud of myself and learned alot. Mission accomplished. I just hope the damn thing works. Question
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont get discouraged if it doesnt run right. they usually need some tweaking after a rebuild. especially if its now on a different engine.

MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, if you didnt ruin any of the hard parts, you can keep working with it til its right....

First carb is always the hardest!

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little late on this one and since all the advice you have gotten it spot on (Smokemup rules), all I'll say is congradulations on your first carb rebuild. As has been said, if it needs some tweeking don't get upset, it's part of the learning process. Clay
bigtizzles

2940.76 points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. What do you mean by hard parts? I'm pretty sure everything is where it belongs. I ordered a new vacuum secondary diaphram, cause mine looked like a used condom. lol
MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By hard parts, I mean all the metal pieces that dont come in a rebuild kit.

Everything else is a matter of finding out what didnt work, finding the Holley part number, getting another, trying again...

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new vacuum diaphram will go in pretty easy. Once they have been used for a few years they are almost impossible to get packed back in without tearing the corners up with the screws. One thing I put on my vacuum 750 that is a fantastic addition is their quick change cover. That way if you want to fine tune the opening rate with spring changes you don't have to ever mess with the diaphram again. Clay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: