Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

New to the forum (First 383 stroker build need advice)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daddydec21

1648.84 points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: New to the forum (First 383 stroker build need advice) Reply with quote

have a 3970014 2 bolt block. looking to get 350 400 hp min at the rear wheels. i have a set of piston here that are TRW L2441 .30 and have them on stock rebuilt 5.7 rods. that's all i got so far people keep getting me confused with ratios and and all this cc stuff i am very confused. TO MUCH READING INTO IT. this is going into a chevy s10 short bed fiberglass fenders and bed. i was looking at a scat 383 cranks on ebay new not resurfaced . but i am lost on the whole balancing and stuff like that. i know my block needs bored and decked and the oil pan rails need reemed out. but i am lost on everything else. i want a good cam but nothing to radical mayb 1500-6500 rpms. dont know anything about cams are there setup numbers. anyway any sugestions on this setup also the machine work needed. rods were already clearanced. Confused any help is greatly appreciated
squeeezer

191524.76 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should introduce yourself there fella Very Happy

well you told us the size of motor and what it is going into

what is the intended use??? drag, street/strip/dd???

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: New to the forum (First 383 stroker build need advice) Reply with quote

daddydec21 wrote:
dont know anything about cams are there setup numbers. anyway any sugestions on this setup also the machine work needed. rods were already clearanced. Confused any help is greatly appreciated

What does that mean?
And where you from? Confused
daddydec21

1648.84 points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know much about what cam lift and duration and stuff is and i am not 100percent on what machine work is need to the block to have the 383 clear
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daddy-dec-21

is that a projected due date ?

do you have a complete engine or just a block ? with a good cam, heads and intake the stock bottom end (with good fasteners of course) will go a long way before needing to be upgraded. you dont need a stroker motor to meet your goals.

daddydec21

1648.84 points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i have a complete motor belive it was out of a 71 camaro i actually purchased two of them at the same time, the one did not dissemble and the one i did. the one that is dissembled had cylinder 2 and 3 bearings bad cylinder 2 bearing spun cyl 3 did not just bad stock bottom end cyc 2 needs to be turned it is grooved a good bit caps and mains look good and my cylinders are 399383 i belive are something to that extent i cant check at a future time
daddydec21

1648.84 points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

squeeezer wrote:
you should introduce yourself there fella Very Happy

well you told us the size of motor and what it is going into

what is the intended use??? drag, street/strip/dd???

Sry I am new to the whole forum thing names paul i am putting this into a chevys10 pickup truck has a fiberglass bed also have 3.73 posi trac disc brake rear out of a s10 blazer truck is going to be joy rideing accinolly hammer down toy a fun night out vehicle pretty much 1 are 2 times a week mayb. sometimes i go to ocean city md thats 500+ miles so cometing that can withstand the long haul also. i will be getting a tru dual exhaust custom made for the truck with shorty headers so the exhaust part will be done just so conefussed on the whole setting up the motor reading to many things need to go to the people who know here at smokemup.com first forume every joined. Also i do know mechanics i went to a bummy school for it but did not learn internals and stuff like that Mad but hope i can learna thing are two here thanks in advance for everyones help Very Happy
10sec.et

346658.74 points

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally, i hate "shorty" headers. IMO, they arent much better than manifolds. you can get full length headers for your engine swap. i would concentrate on finding a good set of heads, some decent rods and put ARP fasteners in everything. i would also go with forged pistons since you never know when the nitrous demon may rear its ugly head Devil .

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scat cast crank is fine - I have beat on one unmercilessly. I do consider them a throw away part when you freshen one up if you beat on them a lot though - never regrind or buy a regrind. Block will have to get some clearance work on the oil pan rails and some on the bottom of the cylinders I believe (luckily it's been a while since I have done one). Ask your machine shop what they will charge to do it since some have the coordinates written down and it is a fairly quick job on a Bridgeport with a digital readout. One option if you haven't put a lot of money into rods is to buy a chinese "H" beam that has clearance built in for the camshaft. Doug Herbert sells a Pro-tech brand that is a re-boxed Scat rod - it's what I use. Other than that you will have to grind a little clearance on the corner of a rod or run a small base circle camshaft. If you run your stock rods, I second putting some ARP bolts in them - sometimes a TRW piston can be kinda heavy - and keep the rpm's down a little. I've gotta go to bed now, but I'll be back with more info. Welcome to Smokemup. Clay
daddydec21

1648.84 points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the rods ido have are ori 5.7 there not from this motor the skirting around the bottom caps on them are clearanced. they have arp stud in them for the hold down caps they trw piston i have is L2441-30. i was thinking about useing a set of camaro headers and to be honest i have a set that cam with one of these motors,,,
daddydec21

1648.84 points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sry for the disappointment but would never touch nitrous are even think about it i am a naturally assperated guy
daddydec21

1648.84 points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALSO THERE IS A GUY UP THE ROAD THAT HS A LIKE NEW SET OF EDEL HEADS VORTECS. FOR 500 BUCKS BUT LITTLE OUTA MY BUDGET RIGHT NOW N NOT SURE IF THEY WILL WORK ON MY BLOCK 3970014
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did some searching on your pistons. First problem is they have a pin height of 1.560". With a 5.7" rod you only have room left for a 3.48" stroke which makes them pistons for a 350, not a 383. They also have a huge dish (21cc) which for a 350 makes it almost impossible to make enough compression for decent power. The horsepower goals you have listed will require some decent heads. 350 hp at the wheels is approx. 440 at the crank and 400 at the wheels is around 500 at the crank. $500 for some aluminum heads is a good deal if they are usable. Some RPM heads should be fine for your goals if that's what they are. Cam is going to be getting a little radical for a daily driver at the 500 h.p. level. At the 400 h.p. level you could probably use a factory Vortec head and have a very torquey fun engine. In this case you will have to balance the rotating assembly. I don't want to be a downer but take your time and save your money to get what you need and you will be far happier in the long run. I'm sure everyone will agree with that even though I don't always follow my own advice Smile . Clay
daddydec21

1648.84 points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWSOME SO I WASTED MY MONEY BUYING THESE PISTONS LOL IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO TO MAKE GOOD HP WITHOUT A RADICAL CAN USEING JUST A 350 INSTEAD OF THE 383?
daddydec21

1648.84 points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PRETTY MUCH ANYTHING I CAN DO TO GET THE HP I WANT WITH THESE PISTONS?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: