Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

Car testing......

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Car testing...... Reply with quote

I've put a few hundred miles on the car so far working on getting a decent street tune on it. In light of what happened, I had the carb pretty fat and was conservative on timing also. Along the way, here's what I have learned.

First problem was with Jeg's brand rocker arms. I had a set of Lunati 1.6 / 1.5's on the last setup. Since I dropped the duration down and found a roller tip that had failed, I went to a set of 1.6 / 1.6's. After about 100 miles I pulled the valve covers to check clearance and just have a general look at everything. Several of the rockers weren't centered over the valve anymore and were off as much as 1/8". Pulled rocker arms and found the problem was the needle bearing weren't pressed in tight enough. Found one that was clearly sticking out and pushed it back in by hand. Called Jegs and they did stand behind their product. Said they have a 3 year warranty and send them back. I swapped them for a set of Comp Cams Gold rockers. Hopefully that problem is solved.

Next thing was it has been running hotter than I would like it. It has a 160* thermostat and it's running about 180* while cruising at 60 mph. If you stop, it will be up to 190 - 200 in a minute or two and it takes several miles (about 5 or more) to get back to 180*. Now if it was 100* outside I wouldn't have a problem with that, but it's 70* here. I had a Summit brand heavy duty fan on it and tried an old Flex-a-lite that had been damaged but would be alright to ease around with. Both were 18" fans and the Flex-a-lite seems to have solved the heat problem.
Summit fan

Flex-a-lite

One area of tuning I have been doing is fuel economy. I figure the better I can economy, the more I can drive it. Today I did almost a 30 mile cruise at 60 mph and then the drive back at 70 mph. I used a flowmeter to measure fuel used. It's capable of measuring down to 0.001 of a gallon.

After doing my cruise, I came up with 15.01 mpg at 60 mph and 13.7 at 70mph. AFR runs around the high 13's to high 14's at 60 mph and it is high 12's to mid 13's at 70 mph of course depending on the exact throttle opening. I tried to be as accurate as I could and I did compensate for speedometer error (which is 5%). The 383 I had with the Procharger got around 12 without allowing for speedometer error so actually it was around 11 - 11.5. This engine with the Procharger didn't even get that although I never actually checked it but it was worse. So far the camshaft seems to be great. Power is PLENTY to drive around on at 12 lbs. - economy is great for what it is - and it idles like almost stock. Plans are to get to the track in 2 weeks and then I can get some data on power output. Clay

squeeezer

191524.76 points

1991 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a fan clutch would be beeeeeeterrrrrrrrrrrr Driving

what trans do you use?

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would have to be the shorted fan clutch setup known to man. I run the fan bolted directly to the pulley - no spacer - and I still only have probably 1" between it and the radiator. I had to move the radiator back to allow room for the intercooler. Nova's really suck on hood room front to back. I run a TH400 with GV overdrive and a 3.73 gear for now - may change to a 3.55. Clay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Everything Goes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: