Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

OiL Pump?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SCEADU

1489.02 points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:21 am    Post subject: OiL Pump? Reply with quote

I race quads ..well I am more like the jam car from the old TCR race tracks. I keep the good racers in practice for passing. Today was my day to practice for an upcoming event. I load gear,machine,cooler and gas unto the trailer and off to the course I go. I am very anal about watching my gauges so I look down and my oil pressure is at 20 when I am cruisin up the road at about 2000 RPM. I pull into The first Advanced I see and start checking things out. My 327 has about 50k on it after the rebuild and I have never noticed any "chatter" from the bottom end so I decide to play it safe and call the wife to come get my trailer and machine while I go back and borrow a friends lo-boy to pick up my Jeep. I buy a new manual oil pressure gauge and hook it straight up to my remote oil filter port. When I fire the engine up it goes right up to 40 psi (normal) at idle. I take it for a ride and once the engine gets up to temp the PSI falls back down to 20. Again I know what bad bearings sound like and there is no chatter coming from the bottom.

Does this sound like a bad oil pump? SHould I check something else?
MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing I check on anything that has oil pressure issues is to swap on a high quality clean oil filter and be sure it has the proper amount of oil in it.

Cant say its the most scientific method but at 5 bucks its hard to feel bad about it.

SMOKEmUP
PostMaster

65097.54 points

1979 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these readings after a fresh oil change? What oil are you running, type and weight?

Is this is a flat tappet cam motor (non roller)?

I challenge you to push yourself.
SCEADU

1489.02 points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it may have been the oil filter. I changed the oil pump out any way becasue that seemed to be the most logical answer. I have a remote filter setup so we did not change it when we we swapped the pump out. After it was all put back together I got the samw restults with low pressure. For grins I decided to change the filter and much to my shigrin I have pressure agian.
af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What filter/s are you running? / because a little help is needed?
SCEADU

1489.02 points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fram PH5.
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything but a Fram.......If you switch to a good quality filter like a Wix (Napa Gold or Silver are Wix filters) it is wonderful peace of mind. Puralator's aren't that bad as far as construction goes either.
Fram and the new style AC Delco's are pretty much the same junk - no metal endcaps to contain the filter media and the AC's have a plastic center tube that keeps the media from being collapsed. You can look around Bobistheoilguy.com website and can see pictures of about every filter imaginable cut open for you to see along with measurements of surface area of media in each, etc. I have cut apart several new filters myself just to see with my own eyes and some of them are pretty crappy. I'm glad you found out it was an easy fix though. Clay

af2

71227.76 points

1933 Willys Coupe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PH5 = junk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WIX or NAPA GOLD.
MufflerBearings69

25364.28 points

1968 Ford Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy my WIX off RockAuto... Shipping isnt bad if youre buying a bunch of filters anyways, and the service at my local NAPA sucks.
SCEADU

1489.02 points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Fram was top of the line stuff and NAPA was a generic filter. LEar something new everyday.

What would cause oil to gel up. A mechanic I use thinks that I may have a small leak in my intake manifold. Can coolant cause oil to thicken? I usually run 20-50 in the summer and 10-40 in the winter. When we took the oil pan off the screen had some gel hanging from it. I am going to cut the filter apart today to see what is inside. This engine has about 50K on it. He tore the old pump apart and it had some scarring in it. this concerns me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Chevy - Small Block Gen 1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: