Auto Math
Classifieds
Forum
Gallery
Games
Garage
Tech Articles
Utilites

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Forum Subscriptions1/4 Mile Table 

408w build up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Ford - Small Block
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randallbwell

219.64 points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: 408w build up Reply with quote

I am working on a 351w to go in a trail truck I want to keep it semi streetable so a can take it to drive-ins ect. It is an 89 f150 and I want an engine capable of around 400hp. After reading tons of material and forums I've found that the 408 is a good torquey stroker. I've found short blocks for around $2,000-$2,800 assembled and machined with forged internals. I'm thinking of going this route considering pricing. Top end wise what kind of heads would be matched? I want a choppy idle, also a 4spd is going behind it so no worries about stall converters. I want to kinda budget this build up I have other projects going on at the same time. I need some capable of holding a high lift cam. I am setting this engine up where if I do not like the all motor 408 I can put a blower on for that extra boost. The shortblocks I've found are ready for 64cc heads @ 9.5:1 any ideas?
T

clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two 408's I have dealt with are very torquey. You can about pick a head blind folded and reach your 400 h.p. goal. About some of the best budget heads I have seen are the RHS stuff. Check out their website. They have a 200cc cast iron head set upfor hydraulic roller with 0.600 lift for $588 each on their website. They used to have flow charts but I didn't see them this time. The Windsor Sr. heads are another good option. They go for around $850ish to $1000 depending on whether you get an unassembled kit, spring choice, etc. I actually have a set of these heads for a future project. They don't have the flow numbers of say an AFR, but I think they would be a good choice given your goals. I actually think either head with a decent hydraulic roller will easily make 400 if not 450 - 475 h.p. with plenty of torque. Clay
Randallbwell

219.64 points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This engine is a very timely project I've done alot of research and I like to get a few opinions bc I've spent so much on the bottom end it's hard to drop alot more cash right now on a set of heads so instead of putting some cheap heads on it and slapping this engine together I might wait and buy a good set if heads but before I buy some I want to find out a near perfect head cam and intake setup bc I find so many assembled heads but are they so universal that any cam will work or should I buy a bare set and piece everything together myself? Also the classic debate between solid lift vs hydraulic, any info, advice, or product recommendation is greatly appreciated
William Jones

28541.86 points

1971 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Becarefull with the RHS stuff since they moved the exhaust valve to get room for the intake runner. This is on the 215 head for sure not sure on the 200cc but I would guess it is the same deal. The heads will make power ( Our 215's have 335 CFM) but pushrod clearance will need to be dealt with. For this motor the no brainer head is the AFR 205, if you have pistons that can except the TFS twisted wedge head then the TFS FAC 190cc or TFS 205cnc head will make more power. All these heads have stock exhaust port locations so no issues there. I never buy assembled heads because all the manufacturers use sub par parts to keep the cost down and there is not a one size fits all spring package lie they make it seem will it run yeah but it won't be perfect. I would run at least the victor Jr intake. When looking at intake parts remember the specs they give you are base off of 351ci not 408 so the intake will need to be bigger than a performer rpm. A good hyd roller will be fine for this motor and can make in the 550hp range with the proper supporting parts. Solid roller lifter cams make more power but for a street car/truck I would go HYD roller.

My # is 386-965-1828 if you need anymore help.

Bam

92 LX 454ci Clevor 9.24@142.53 N/A
71 Mach1 454ci Clevor 10.16@134 N/A 3850lbs race weight "Lost in fire"
03 Cobra Bone stock 12.42
68 Falcon 363ci 10.55@126 N/A
95 GT 363ci 11.08@118 N/A
clay

318129.23 points

1972 Chevrolet Nova

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you replied - I hoped you would. I wasn't familar with the specifics of the RHS heads - they just look like a great bang for the buck. I agree that AFR's would be one of the better heads (not familar with the TFS heads you listed) - I was just going the budget route. I agree about the Victor Jr. too - the 408's I have driven have plenty of torque even with Super Victors. I'm sure you'll steer him in the right direction. Clay
Randallbwell

219.64 points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I've had problems with i the heads I need to build a set of good heads so you say go with AFR or twisted wedge? Ok the AFR I have heard alot of good things and if they have been worked they can outflow the twisted wedges have you heard anything of that sort
William Jones

28541.86 points

1971 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot of banter back and forth on who's better AFR advertises better that's for sure. But I have used both and both can get the job done. For the level of power you are looking for I have made over 400 rwhp with 331-363 cubes with RHS 215, FAC 190cc and the AFR 205 with relatively mild cams and no more than 6500rpm. It really comes down to preference there is always more than one way to skin a cat if you know what I mean.

Bam

92 LX 454ci Clevor 9.24@142.53 N/A
71 Mach1 454ci Clevor 10.16@134 N/A 3850lbs race weight "Lost in fire"
03 Cobra Bone stock 12.42
68 Falcon 363ci 10.55@126 N/A
95 GT 363ci 11.08@118 N/A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SMOKEmUP.com Forum Index -> Ford - Small Block All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: